Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping an eye on storm track for Hurricane Florence

Glad to hear your probably in the clear for the most part OT. it does seem to be moving further south. I have been tracking it most all day and that is surely what it looks like. Storm has slowed from 17mph to 5 mph. Winds down from 135 to 105. Biggest thing now seems to be storm surge and total rainfall. They are calling for upwards of 40" in localized locations now. The storm may or may not cross the mountians to get into the Tennessee valley. I heard earlier today that TVA is spilling water from most all the dam's in middle and east Tennesse to move water toward the Mississippi river and create more storage space for water coming in from NC and any rainfall we may get.
    I still think Beo may be in for the worst of the storm, at least at this point. Prayers go out for all involved in the weather.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Glad to hear your probably in the clear for the most part OT. it does seem to be moving further south. I have been tracking it most all day and that is surely what it looks like. Storm has slowed from 17mph to 5 mph. Winds down from 135 to 105. Biggest thing now seems to be storm surge and total rainfall. They are calling for upwards of 40" in localized locations now. The storm may or may not cross the mountians to get into the Tennessee valley. I heard earlier today that TVA is spilling water from most all the dam's in middle and east Tennesse to move water toward the Mississippi river and create more storage space for water coming in from NC and any rainfall we may get.
    I still think Beo may be in for the worst of the storm, at least at this point. Prayers go out for all involved in the weather.

That makes sense about what the TVA is doing at their dams. Smart thing to do.

I too am worried about my friend in Tennessee as well as The Olde Timer out there in North Carolina. Thinking it is going right over the top of Beowulf.

Amen on the Prayers. Amen , Amen, Amen!!

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    I don't know. Its 2143, (that's 9:43 PM for civilians), here and we still have power. It has rained some, off and on and been a bit breezy at times, but nothing much more yet. Last report I saw from the NHC was still 40+ mph gusts tomorrow and 5 - 8 inches of rain. Seems like flooding may be the biggest threat here. Have to wait and see what happens throughout the night and tomorrow. I'm way, way above any flood plane, so my biggest concern would be not being able to get about as well.
    Last edited by beowulf; 09-13-2018 at 09:48 PM.

So far you buddy in Tn is ok. He may end up with more rain than I do (depending on the final track), but unless the storm goes further west than expected and crosses the mountians, we won't get more than 2-6" of rain, probly winds less than 35mph.

If any of y'all including OT need help afterwards I'll bring my guys and lend a hand, I used to do this stuff for a living. LOL
    Serious, I need a break.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Beo, I think your area will see heavy rains tomorrow. But so glad to hear your on high ground. I can't imagine anyone buying low ground anywhere. Just asking for trouble IMO.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Default Entertainment

Just like Nero playing the fiddle, or the yule log burning during Christmas season, one can turn on the weather channel or most any "news" station and watch some fool standing in the wind screaming into a mic. Its a hoot to leave on, volume off, in the background. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Just like Nero playing the fiddle, or the yule log burning during Christmas season, one can turn on the weather channel or most any "news" station and watch some fool standing in the wind screaming into a mic. Its a hoot to leave on, volume off, in the background. hahaha

You make a good point there Winni...a darned good point. I finally turned the television off...got tired of seeing that kind of stuff. I can get that kind of stupid at work on the clock.

I got on my scooter and ran down to work to pay the parking attendant...I have a good relationship with him and want to keep it that way.

I got a good tailwind going downtown....and had to back off the throttle. It was slow scooting back home but I got him paid for the three days I owe him. I don't like going in arrears too much...and like to keep a good relationship with the attendant...he is a decent fellow.

Not raining here but slightly windy. Expected a lot more wind and rain than we have gotten up to now..but still standing by here. Thinking we here in Virginia are on the outer edge of the storm....we got lucky here.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-14-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Well, we lost power today, from 1300 - 1800 (that's 1:00 PM -6:PM for civilians). Its back on now . Still raining some and a bit breezy, but hoping the worst of it is over. Lights are still flickering some now and then, so we'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by beowulf; 09-14-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Good to hear from you Beo. Been wonderin how you were faring today.
    OT, glad you dodged the bullet this time.