Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping an eye on storm track for Hurricane Florence

Default Keeping an eye on storm track for Hurricane Florence

Been watching this storm track since I got off work Saturday morning at 2am.

It looked at first as if it was coming on land somewhere between North Carolina and South Carolina.

Now as of Sunday this track has significantly changed...

Though Florence is still far out...it is making a textbook change and swing to the north....right now tracking somewhere with landfall in North Carolina...but expect that to change by Monday.

We will be watching and making preparations here.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

What source do you use for hurricane tracking OT?
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

this could be really bad. Our worst floods have been the result of hurricanes. they are already predicting up to 12 inches here in the mountains, which would be devastating. In the big flood of 1985 we only got 9 inches, and 17 people lost their lives. I hope this thing turns out to sea.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    What source do you use for hurricane tracking OT?

Here's the link to the National Hurricane Center . I Keep this link in my bookmarks..up at the top of the page on both my laptops...downstairs and up here in the radio shack.

Getting ready to call my friend on ham radio out in Tennessee....I think they may get a lot of rain from the storm out there...as well.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

He is a ways east of us, but yeah the entire eastern side of the state could get dumper on, depending on the track it takes.

I use the NOAA site for various stuff, but hadn't been using the NHC site. We typically don't get much from the storms other than some higher than normal winds and higher than normal rainfall totals.

I sure hope this storm turns back out to see as it rounds Bermuda.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

The local forecast update, about twenty minutes ago, looks like this thing is zeroing in on the Raleigh area after it gets done on the coast. I'm in pretty good shape but going tomorrow to see if I can find some more batteries and propane, get some things for the grand daughter and her family. I'm still hoping this thing will have a change of heart and turn back to the Northeast, but not counting on it. My neighbor told me some time back not to buy a generator, that he has access to some if needed. He's a contractor. So gonna fill all my gas cans and be ready. Vehicles already fueled up. I have oil lamps and oil, flashlights and batter operated lanterns, batter operated fans, (can also raise windows for air flow), plenty of water...two wells and the ability to draw water with a bucket and rope if need be, barrels of rain water for flushing toilets, camp stoves...propane and the old liquid fueled, gas for it and bottles for propane stove, perculator coffee pot, plenty coffee and grub, firearms and ammo to keep the scum at bay and too much else to list. Still, hope this thing decides to go someplace else...like back out into the Atlantic.

From living in Texas my whole life, you have to treat every hurricane as a SHTF situation, quit frankly because that is what it can be. You must be prepared to lose all utilities and be cut off from emergency services as well. One thing that people rarely think about during a hurricane is the potential for fires. It might have been during Sandy when a lot of homes in one neighborhood burned down due to uncontrolled fires that spread. So at minimum, try to have a few good fire extinguishers on hand. Helping to put out a fire near you could help to prevent your house from burning down.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I will be camping this weekend in SW Ohio, so i'm keeping an eye on the forecast....not sure what the track will be, and how far West it will reach. I feel for all of you in the direct path. God speed.

Went by The Orange Place/Home Depot this morning..before the maddening crowds. Bought a long roll of half inch nylon rope and about 8 packs of 1/8th inch nylon chord for tying things down in my yard....here shortly.

The fellow right in front of me went early too and was paying for a 6550 watt generator.

I got my stuff and went to the grocery store to complete my short list before most people got off work.

I had forgotten something about the new deck I had put on my home. I purchased a new deck table for it with the hole in it for the large umbrella. Well the table has in the top of it all these 12" X 12" type flooring stones...inset into the table top. I am going to have to take each of them out and put them away in my garage. They are likely to get airborne in a high wind. The two umbrellas also for which I have as part of the yard furniture...they too will go into the garage. I plan on removing the cushions from the chairs and putting them in the garage and tying the metal chairs themselves to the deck with the 1/8th nylon chord. My plastic yard chairs too...stacking and tying them to the deck...with the same chord. Table too tied to the deck.

Sometimes you forget how much yard stuff you have.
    Continuing preps here and watching the National Hurricane Center site on the WWW.

Spoke with my friend around Johnson City, Tennessee last night via our Ham radios and for about 40 minutes. He is mostly worried about heavy rain washing away the dirt road for which he is adding gravel on the road bed into his property. I can understand his concern having seen what heavy rains can do on the big Island of Hawaii..in washing out the mountain roads. Seen this with my own eyes on Hawaii during heavy rains. It is like the sides ...of the mountain just give way.

Also seen what happens here in Virginia and even in North Carolina in the mountains...when the rocks just decide to give way and fall onto the road bed....now that is very very impressive...nothing but dead weight coming down.!!! Wow!! You know what they say about gravity!!! And once in awhile some really big ones decide to come down off the mountain and onto the road bed..again very very impressive!!!!

Thanks

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-10-2018 at 09:42 AM.

7:45pm here and just stepped out back on my deck to take a look and feel for what is happening out there.

It looks like we are getting lucky for the most part here in Hampton Rhodes, Virginia. Most of the storm is tracking south....and we are on the very outer edge.

No heavy rain here yet..but winds are picking up and gusting. Cat door is open to the garage and they can shelter there if needed but they took some snacks from me a short time ago.

My friend out in Tennessee will be getting some rain as it heads out in that direction. Looks like right over his place.

Oh...stopped in BJ's the other morning and to get some D cell batteries for my lady friend and they had everything but D cells ..I gave up and came home.

Have put on a pot of coffee with a nice piece of chocolate cake ...and will be kicking back and standing the night watch.

All utility services still working.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelte
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-13-2018 at 09:38 PM.