Thread: Survellance cameras... anyone experienced?

Default Survellance cameras... anyone experienced?

I've got a 16 camera 1080p camera system, and my dvr has died... the cameras are nice and clear, night vision is awesome, it's everything I wanted in a system, BUT... I was never able to get the remote viewing app to work remotely, only on our wifi here at the house, so I'd like a different dvr as a replacement, with a hopefully more friendly interface, but I can't figure out who makes a compatible 16 channel dvr that I can plug and play with my cameras. Anybody have experience with this type of issue? Edit: it's a Samsung
    Last edited by ak474u; 09-04-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Didn't realize there was very much difference in cameras. Good luck, following for the input.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Didn't realize there was very much difference in cameras. Good luck, following for the input.
    I'm not sure there is, however, I'm afraid there might be some kind of proprietary thing with a Samsung vs Swann or Lorex etc.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

what kind of connector do your cameras have? That's going to determine your options.
    RCA?
    BNC?
    Ethernet?
    Power over Ethernet?
    WiFi?

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    what kind of connector do your cameras have? That's going to determine your options.
    RCA?
    BNC?
    Ethernet?
    Power over Ethernet?
    WiFi?
    BNC

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

What is the model number on the old DVR? I have a mix and match system as well, same BNC video and power over the cable. I ran some of my far cams with outdoor ethernet cable and baluns, that setup works great.

Did you set up port forwarding on your router for the remote viewing ? Some of the apps use multiple ports.

How did the old DVR die? In the past, the disks in mine went, and it was a simple replacement. My old system uses IDE, but the new ones use SATA, with much bigger storage capacity. Might be worth fixing ?
    Last edited by Winni; 09-05-2018 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    What is the model number on the old DVR? I have a mix and match system as well, same BNC video and power over the cable. I ran some of my far cams with outdoor ethernet cable and baluns, that setup works great.

Did you set up port forwarding on your router for the remote viewing ? Some of the apps use multiple ports.

How did the old DVR die? In the past, the disks in mine went, and it was a simple replacement. My old system uses IDE, but the new ones use SATA, with much bigger storage capacity. Might be worth fixing ?
    If you need another Hard Drive, make sure it is a security grade drive and buy one that is at least 2TB, 4TB is better. Are your cameras digital or analog?