Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Water supply in the West

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,170

    Default

    The problem is when their area dries up they will move east. Like a swarm of locusts moving from one field to another. When they move they will continue with the same policies that destroyed their old home.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, CA
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    The rain that came through last night is the first rain we have had since early July.
    Ha, we get rain in this county only between Jan and March usually, average < 10 inches per year....this year we were at less than 4 inches....total

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Lake LBJ, Texas
    Posts
    7,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    The rain that came through last night is the first rain we have had since early July.
    I drove thru that storm from SA to just past Johnson City. Then nothing the rest of the way to LBJ. Agreed, August rain is always a bonus here, I just hope this system stays for a while.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.


    I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    I can see Mt Hood, Adams, St Helens and Rainer on a clear day
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    The problem is when their area dries up they will move east. Like a swarm of locusts moving from one field to another. When they move they will continue with the same policies that destroyed their old home.
    Better east than north. We already have enough pilgrims from California up here. I expect talk about draining the Columbia to our neighbors from the south will begin again. I am not a rabid as Skeeter, but the old saying still goes. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. And then again, people in Washington are not perfect. Yesterday an unhappy camper decided that stealing a Q400 and taking it for a joyride would pretty much make his week. I'll give him credit for this though, he took his life but no one on the ground. Just when you think you have heard it all...

    Ez

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, CA
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezmony View Post
    Better east than north. We already have enough pilgrims from California up here. I expect talk about draining the Columbia to our neighbors from the south will begin again.
    Ez
    You guys may have missed the point of my post.....this is not just SoCal, it will affect tens of million of people from 7 states that are served by the Colorado. Even a few record snowfalls will not help. This could be big trouble. Hope I'm wrong, but......

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    I can see Mt Hood, Adams, St Helens and Rainer on a clear day
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borrego View Post
    You guys may have missed the point of my post.....this is not just SoCal, it will affect tens of million of people from 7 states that are served by the Colorado. Even a few record snowfalls will not help. This could be big trouble. Hope I'm wrong, but......
    I didn't miss your point. I think the keyword is sustainability. Build in a desert, expect trouble. And yes, a population depended on exported water so they fill their pools, watch fountains and otherwise enjoy the Southland, Vegas, most of Arizona, et al, well at some time, you hit a tipping point. I expect those nice folks are coming closer to that point, and yes it will be an unhappy wake up call. The wife and grandkids just came back from a trip to Socal (I paid, had no desire to go) and they shared it was dry, hot and no Doug Firs. This is why I live where I live. Upscale...no. But sustainable. I think kicking the can down the road is a suitable simile. And at the end of the day, it will only get worse. Assuming a few years of decent precip happens, only means landslides, floods and other evils. But then all that choose to live in that region, chose to. Now eastern WA is essentially a desert, without the many millions. Hopefully when the SHTF south of me, the masses will head east. We have enough pogues from California in Seattle, Portland, Spokane and even had a family come in about a mile from me. Talk about immigration control. I think Tom McCall had it right. Come here, spend your money AND THEN GO HOME!

    Ok rant mode over, you hit the point Borrego. Things are bad in the Southwest. Not sure how to fix that. Mead is down, as is Powell. I live about 15 miles from the river. Hopefully the powers that be will leave the Columbia alone. Maybe (and I doubt it) someone will come up with a plan. That has been sadly lacking since 1849.

    Ez

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, CA
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezmony View Post
    Maybe (and I doubt it) someone will come up with a plan. That has been sadly lacking since 1849.
    Ez
    I don't think they will..... they'll let it go until it's too late like govt always does.......besides what would they do? Ya can't make water (well they could desalinate but they're too stupid out here...)
    Well maybe it's time to thin the herd......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •