Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water supply in the West

Default Water supply in the West

So here's true SHTF that has been coming for a while and may be here in a year or so.....

I 'stumbled' across this a couple days ago...I mean I obviously know we're in serious water trouble, it's all-over-all-the-time.

But I came across some new info in a roundabout way.......we are going to Lake Mead this month for a houseboat trip, something we've done many times before when our boys were younger (best family trip ever). So I was checking the lake water level (Lake Mead is the larger man-made lake/reservoir in the US), turns out not only has it dropped again (150 ft since we first went 20 years ago), but it is now at an all time low of 1077 ft......the top of the Hoover Dam is at 950 ft, so 127 ft before a literal doomsday scenario. Water is off, and power produced by the dam is off also

Apparently when they built the Hoover Dam in 1930, they never foresaw all of these millions of people actually wanting to live in the desert (that includes LA, San Diego and the rest of SoCal which are just reclaimed desert)

The Colorado River through Lake Mead provides water to 7 states and Mexico.......areas like Las Vegas (2m), Phoenix(5m), LA(10m), San Diego(3), Orange/San Berdoo/Ventura/Riverside Etc (8m), TJ(3m) would become dust bowls pretty quickly. We're probably talking 50 million people here.

Can you imagine the chaos this will cause? Most amazing thing to me....? No one is talking about this out here. No one. Not in the news, no politicians, nothing. Wouldn't you think if a disaster of this magnitude were even close to being this eminent, some one would mention it.... even once in a while? Nope. Maybe they don't want people to know

Whaddya think?

I hope you've been storing A LOT of water.
    When they start forcing people to shut down their private property well, that is a sign it's time to get the hell out in a hurry my friend....

In our area in Texas, a new pipeline is being installed to supply water to San Antonio for the same reason.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

We have water stored at our EDH (Every Day Home), so we would be ok for a while. If worse came to worse, we have an 'endless' supply of water at our desert BOH (Bug Out Home).... some neighbor have a shared well that sits on an aquafier that is 600 ft deep and miles long. One of the main reasons I bought land out there if ya know what I mean......

I'm more concerned about the rioting this would cause, although we live pretty far away from the city at either location....still.......

It's a sellers market my friend. Soon you'll be able to buy so cal land as cheap as Arizona desert land. Cash out.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    It's a sellers market my friend. Soon you'll be able to buy so cal land as cheap as Arizona desert land. Cash out.
    You may be right :-) Gotta find top of market.....Right now my house is going up $3-5k a month they say. (And no it's not worth it)

The west has been in drought conditions for thirty years so it is not surprising that Lake Mead has low water levels. But it could be a snowy winter and raise Lake Mead substantially come spring, who knows?
    The water usage contracts for the Colorado River water are very complicated. Even Mexico gets a certain amount of the water.
    Fresh water is a big deal most places. And it is going to be a bigger deal as time passes.

I agree.

Texas goes through the same.. We go through some serious droughts where the lakes get so low you can walk across them. Farms are ranches really suffer. Cattle ranchers try to sell off their live stocks and usually can.... For pennies on th dollar. The following year, the dams are over flowing. It rarely if ever rains here in August. Guess what.. It's raining right now and more is coming next week.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    The west has been in drought conditions for thirty years so it is not surprising that Lake Mead has low water levels. But it could be a snowy winter and raise Lake Mead substantially come spring, who knows?
    The water usage contracts for the Colorado River water are very complicated. Even Mexico gets a certain amount of the water.
    Fresh water is a big deal most places. And it is going to be a bigger deal as time passes.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

The rain that came through last night is the first rain we have had since early July.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Stupidfornia is just that STUPID! Having lived there 40 yrs I witnessed multiple attempts of offshore desalination plants trying to be built. Those Dumbasses shot it down every time!! The plants could have been far enough off the coast to not be seen and still they shot it down!! Yup F#%K them and their Ignorance!! May that state dry up completely and wither away!!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

You couldn't pay me enough to live in Cal! It was once a beautiful state but those idiots destroyed it.