Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY body armor, part 2

Default DIY body armor, part 2

A few discussions down from this one was my first attempt at making DIY body armor. After testing, it stopped a 9mm round at close range. I never got a chance to test it against a more substantial round, hence part 2.

My goal with this revisit is to stop a rifle round. In the first test, 1 layer of denim, 1 license plate, another layer of denim, 1 ceramic floor tile, and then a few more layers of denim stopped the pistol round. In between each layer was a coating of Liquid Nails. But this time, it needs to be more robust to stop a rifle round. So, here is how this new one will be made;

1 layer of denim
    1 license plate
    1 layer of denim
    1 ceramic floor tile
    1 layer of denim
    1 ceramic floor tile

Just like the first test, each layer is held together with a layer of Liquid Nails. 3 tubes of Liquid Nails to be exact. Also, just like the first ones, this one is currently under compression of a 40 pound battery so as the Liquid Nails hardens, it will provide great adhesion for all of the layers. It will be left in this manner for 2 or 3 days to ensure the Liquid Nails has solidified.

So what round will be used to test this? 5.56 is the first round that comes to mind, but realistically I donít think it would take much to stop a typical 5.56 round. So what about a round that is double the mass of a 5.56 round, but is traveling at the same speed? Letís just go ahead and skip to the largest round that I have which is the .270! Yep, if this can stop a .270 round then thereís not much out there that hits with a harder punch so it would be safe to say(in my opinion) that it would be able to stop most of everything else within reason.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I aim for the head.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I aim for the head.
    I think liberal heads are bullet-proof. Concrete is hard to penetrate.

You could be right but, from everything I've witnessed, their heads are more like mush on the inside. Only the outer coating, thin and brittle, is Like concrete and even concrete crumbles fairly easy with the right impact. I don't think their soft spot ever closed up.. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I aim for the head.

That is pretty much a guaranteed way to take down whatever you are shooting at, as long as the round is substantial enough.

Plenty substantial and plenty accurate on this end.

This is my preference.. Mag fed 12g pistol.

image.jpg

sorry - but I get DoomsDay Prepper Deja Vu reading this posting - all I can see is that weird chubby pedophile raider guy - he was doing live body testing of his DIY body armor >>> one of the more weird episodes ....

Lol . ditto...
    Ar500 is cheap and works

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Lol . ditto...
    Ar500 is cheap and works
    And what is one supposed to do post SHTF if you donít already have some?

That is the point of this. Itís not a replacement for good body armor but rather, what can be done with typical household items to make functioning body armor. Iíve already proved that the smaller ones I made will stop a 9mm round. Will this stop a rifle round? Only time will tell.