Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY body armor, part 2

I want them exterminated with the first shot. I'm not in to the suffrage. Just eliminate, throw another in the chamber and be ready for the next contestant. One shot, one kill, maybe two kill if I'm lucky. Saves ammo..

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Not me. I aim for the "family jewels", 12 Ga, #4 buckshot. Tends to REALLY get their attention. Most I know, men anyway, would rather die from severe torture than have his nuts splattered all over the wall behind him. But I guess you could ay I'm a bit sadistic. Some have even accused me of being a psychopathic homicidal maniac...but they never bother me after we have a "chat".
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Cammie, was that pistol available? Brand?

No, it's a custom piece from three different weapons, but here's another one very simular. Look below the image for variations.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...EQcw..i&w=2486
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 08-08-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

dang.....i want one..kinda reminds me of a John Wayne movie

Sorry, I put the wrong link. Go look again.

My buddy owns a metal shop. Ar 400 or ar 500 is pretty cheap. In a 10 x12 cut 1/4 will stop .30/06. He cut me 8 sets for under 50$ a plate...this is my hand out armor... In cheap vism or condor carriers. Better than nothing and more than most have. Plan ahead..none is gonna rush in to save your ass with tiles and wood glue... That's not xonfidance inspiring

It may not be confidence inspiring to you, but it might be to a lot of people who may not have $250 for their whole family.

Innovation does not come without risks. What do you think police officers said when woven kevlar vests came out? Fabric is going to stop a bullet, are you crazy? That is why I do tests on these things to see if they actually work or not, and not just state that it works. I already know that 1 layer of denim, 1 ceramic tile, then 6 more layers of denim, and held together with liquid nails will stop a 147 grain 9 mm round. For the rifle plate, I am going to test it with a .270 round that, at the muzzle, has 100 ft lbs less energy than a 30.06 round. If it stops the .270 round with no deformation on the back side then it will stop a 30.06 round. What do you think ceramic body armor is made of?

When testing is done, I will record it and then post the video here regardless of what the outcome is. If it stops the .270 then Ill shoot it a few times with my 5.56 to see if it can stop multiple rounds.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

R&D is how things get done. Good on you Cav!

If it stops some rounds, it's better than stopping no rounds. Just make sure you have all your warnings in place so no one comes after you when they assemble one wrong and put a round through their gut.

Ok. It weighs 7.8 pounds and its dimensions are 13 X 7 X 1 1/2 thick.

Daelith, good advice. When I make the video showing the test Ill have a bit to say about that.

Here is a uestion for yall. When I shoot this with my .270, what ammo should I use? Ammo choices are 130 grain lead softpoint, 150 grain lead soft point, 130 grain ballistic tip, or 130 grain FMJ. The 130 grain FMJ should have the best chance of penetrating the plate I think so Im leaning towards using that round.