Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gave a young man the pep talk today....

only1wayout,

Great story about your son and his improvisation/machinist skills. Self thinking...self action..identified and solved the problem....self sufficiency. I love to hear stories like that.

ckelly78,

I understand about your daughters boyfriend. I too had never driven a truck hauling a heavy load. I learned in the National Guard hauling a 155MM Howitzer on the back of an Army Truck.

To many young men today have their primary influence from Mothers..not Fathers...or television and movies. They know how to push buttons not how to actually handle difficult problems outside of pushing a button.

Agree...most young people live their lives on the internet and don't develop the skills and thinking to step away from the screen. Same thing with television and movies.

Yes....sometimes you just have to step out and be a man.

It was so back when I bought a tree climbing set and cut down three trees in my yard from up in them...because they were so tall. I learned on the job....

I also learned quickly that those kinds of professional tree climbers earn every penny they make.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

I can't count the number of "bush fixes" I have done on equipment around my farm, I also can't believe the number of people who are incompetant about searching the internet for DIY fixes if you can't think of something. Man up, and figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Tell him put a radiator in it... There known for trans cooler bursting and coolant going in tranny. $140 at Napa for cheap insurance..my 15 yo swapped mine..so it's easy
    Nissan is known for the transmission cooler overheat...bursting??

I did not know that. I suppose neither does this young man. I shall mention it to him next time we meet. Coolant mixing over to the transmission side. A new and better transmission cooler....replacement??

Thanks,
    Orangetom

It ain't just today's youth who suffer from this malady. Back...WAY back...in 1963, My GF and I were walking down a country land one Sunday afternoon. Suddenly, I told her "stop, Pat. There's a skunk in front of us." "Where", she asked. I pointed it out and she said, "come on, let's go catch it." I had to stop her from taking off after it. Maybe I should have let her go. Would have been a good, and unforgettable lesson for her, albeit a hard one.

I've replaced 2 radiators already this summer. My 14'Silverado HD, the black abs plastic core supports on each side simply gave out. Both the engine oil and transmission fluids are cooled inside these chambers, luckily they are contained separately. The second is my oldest daughters 06 altima, manual... no transmission lines.... the replacement had the hookups, just ignored them.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    It ain't just today's youth who suffer from this malady. Back...WAY back...in 1963, My GF and I were walking down a country land one Sunday afternoon. Suddenly, I told her "stop, Pat. There's a skunk in front of us." "Where", she asked. I pointed it out and she said, "come on, let's go catch it." I had to stop her from taking off after it. Maybe I should have let her go. Would have been a good, and unforgettable lesson for her, albeit a hard one.

Good grief,

I wouldn't want to be taking her home in my car after being sprayed by a skunk....or walk way back away from her...upwind.

Orangetom

A skunk.......Now this might cause me to become an Ishmaelite!!

Yeah...flock6...I've done the same a few years back...two radiators in one year for my cars. I just figured it easier to replace than try to get them fixed at the radiator place across town.

Same...just put caps on the transmission line hook ups.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 08-09-2018 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    If that was me and my GF went chasing after a skunk I would have just walked home. I don't see why we both should suffer for her lesson 😈
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by Ready 4 reset View Post
    If that was me and my GF went chasing after a skunk I would have just walked home. I don't see why we both should suffer for her lesson 😈
    LOL

Bought wifey a new car a few months ago. I have no idea where the spare or jack and tools are. I'll prolly get to figure it out in a rain storm...
    777 FGG

Quote Originally Posted by TripSeven View Post
    Bought wifey a new car a few months ago. I have no idea where the spare or jack and tools are. I'll prolly get to figure it out in a rain storm...
    Bought my daughter a new car last month, no Jack no spare...... a bottle of slime and 12 volt compressor go figure. New 2018 Ford ecosport came with 6 yrs of bumper to bumper warranty and roadside, should get her through college then some, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.