Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carr fire and more

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    Very true about fires burning houses from the inside out. I plan on buying a couple of the small fire extinguishers and teaching my kids how to use them in about a year or so (they are still young). I figure we will do a bonfire and make s’mores cook hotdogs that type of thing, then when it comes time to put it out pull them out and let them extinguish the fire using extinguisher. I figure for the $25-$75 I will spend on “wasting” them, it teaches them a valuable life skill.
    Good plan!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    Very true about fires burning houses from the inside out. I plan on buying a couple of the small fire extinguishers and teaching my kids how to use them in about a year or so (they are still young). I figure we will do a bonfire and make s’mores cook hotdogs that type of thing, then when it comes time to put it out pull them out and let them extinguish the fire using extinguisher. I figure for the $25-$75 I will spend on “wasting” them, it teaches them a valuable life skill.
    I agree that it is a valuable skill...

But most house fires are class A, and small extinguishers do a really poor job on Class-A fires. That experience is even more educational, I feel. BTW, small extinguishers don't do much on Class-B fires, either: A car on fire for example, will rarely benefit from a 10BC rated fire extinguisher. Such an extinguisher might allow getting passengers out alive.

For houses, a better solution (outside the kitchen and perhaps garage) is a 2 1/2 gallon pressurized water fire extinguisher like this: https://www.amazon.com/Amerex-Gallon...e+extinguisher

Filled with water, and charged with an air compressor, you can refill them yourself for essentially nothing, and they work well on Class-A fires (those that leave ash, i.e. wood, paper, natural fabrics). They can also be used on oil fires with a little technique. And, they are OFTEN available used for far less than the new cost.
    Good medicine in bad places

Don't forget to tell the kids about the fire extinguisher "P.A.S.S. technique" (Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep).....this is universally accepted as a good way to learn fire safety for all ages.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

As a poor mans defense, I always leave the dishpan filled with dish water, in case of a non grease fire. I have a very small house, so it is workable.

Just heard on the news today, 80% of Cali is breathing smoke right now, they had a doctor advising people to stay inside, not work out,wear masks etc.....