Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carr fire and more

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Carr fire and more

So it seems like the west coast has been burning off and on for the past couple of years. Yes I realize the Left coast jokes that can be made about this, but trying to stay on track.

First do we know if any of our regular users are effected by any of the current fires going on. If so can we do anything for them.

Second thing is fires can really get any of us. So I know for me my current situation is I just drive my house out of town (living in an RV). So it pretty much our hurricane plan. Keep the gas tank full, and extra cash on hand. I think long term in my land development prevention is key. Keeping a nice distance from the underbrush, while being able to power a pump for sprinklers for the house would be a wise idea. I know that is a ways off for us, but hey I can dream right.

Is anyone else giving wild fires any deep thoughts?
    Vox Populi!

Make a fire perimeter where no burnable brush/trees/firewood piles are within 100 feet of the house. I would definatly look at seamed metal roofing, and siding to prevent embers from getting ahold of something. I would want a large water storage tank with a trash pump that could spray volumns of water long distances, and may consider having large diameter hoses on a coil at each end of the house for dousing/soaking/cooling. In a fire prone area (or anywhere for that matter), I would also have a dug in root cellar for storing food, and having freezers of meat.

I have sprinklers on the roof of my main buildings, with a cistern and a pump system so if there is a fire I can keep the roof wet.

Also, keep in mind that the radiant heat from a big fire is HUGE, and things like drapes covering windows can ignite while the fire is 100 feet or more away.
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    I have sprinklers on the roof of my main buildings, with a cistern and a pump system so if there is a fire I can keep the roof wet.
    We are looking at putting in a pool next year (if money allows) and one of my thoughts has been to hook up a separate return line for fire usage...maybe even with a separate pump and/or valve system. I need to get a new roof in the very near future so after that is in, I would install some sort of sprinkler system up there. Did you just use regular sprinklers, or are there special ones designed for this?

I am down south and have been about 20 miles from 2 medium sized fires so far this season. So far so good, but it sure puts ya on edge......the seasons are getting longer every year. The enviro/dems say it's due to 'Global Warming'.......The real reason? These very people restrict cutting back forested areas so we are overgrown.

Quote Originally Posted by borrego View Post
    We are looking at putting in a pool next year (if money allows) and one of my thoughts has been to hook up a separate return line for fire usage...maybe even with a separate pump and/or valve system. I need to get a new roof in the very near future so after that is in, I would install some sort of sprinkler system up there. Did you just use regular sprinklers, or are there special ones designed for this?

I am down south and have been about 20 miles from 2 medium sized fires so far this season. So far so good, but it sure puts ya on edge......the seasons are getting longer every year. The enviro/dems say it's due to 'Global Warming'.......The real reason? These very people restrict cutting back forested areas so we are overgrown.
    I had a fire protection company design it, and a plumber install it. It's a dry system (no water in it until I turn it on) so I don't have to worry about it freezing. It's handy for washing dust off the house, too The sprinklers look kind of like ceiling sprinklers, but they're apparently not the same.
    Good medicine in bad places

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

As a poor mans defense, I always leave the dishpan filled with dish water, in case of a non grease fire. I have a very small house, so it is workable.

At ranch I have about an acre of green grass around house and a road circling outside of that and keep it mowed and short on both sides of road. Have a windmill keep a roughly 2200 gallon cistern full. I'm more concerned with my breeder deer program.

Cali has too many people and not enough water. Maybe too many treehugger types that want to build out in nature with no fire break because......natural. I think I read or saw that several of their current fires were set by the same arsonist. Sould be hung on the square.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 08-04-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    So it seems like the west coast has been burning off and on for the past couple of years. Yes I realize the Left coast jokes that can be made about this, but trying to stay on track.
    First do we know if any of our regular users are effected by any of the current fires going on. If so can we do anything for them.
    By the way, thanks for asking!

Good questions here.

I put a metal roof on my BOL a few years ago. I had 150 gallons of water stored(I know itís not enough but it was a start) with a 12 volt pump to at least try to keep things from burning. But I also had about 10 of the big fire extinguishers.

My current house though has nothing, except insurance that covers $150k of personal belongings. Hopefully we wonít be in this house for much longer though. The next house will not have an HOA like we currently have.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

fires can really get any of us.
    This is certainly a true statement. We can do what we can (and I have) to keep a fire-wise perimeter around your house and other buildings.
    But it does not have to be a wildfire that gets you, many more houses burn from the inside out rather than from the outside in.