Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grits

I've up graded to Tony Cachere's and butter.. OMG... been doing the butter salt and pepper sometimes shredded cheddar and a sunny side up egg on top just to dip the toast in.. but my fav is with the Tony's,, woo hoo.. fire breather unfortunately even tho my second husband was born in New Orleans,, he uses sugar on his,, he went yankee on me,, @ @ come to think of it thas a good nuff reason for divorce in my neck of the woods

crap don't know how to stop the double posts,, need an admin to delete the first one.. thanks,,

Quote Originally Posted by silvergramma View Post
    crap don't know how to stop the double posts,, need an admin to delete the first one.. thanks,,
    Its called "Senior moments" SG. I suffer from them time to time myself. Got seven decades plus three behind me, so I reckon its excusable.

or "operator error".........jk

Daughter is a for sure chef, trained at CIA St. Helena. Grits is the latest thing that chefs have found. A little slow if you ask me, I've been eating Grits most my life. For sure salt and butter, never tried sugar and best with a Pork Chop, but have done the Shrimp a few times.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Daughter is a for sure chef, trained at CIA St. Helena. Grits is the latest thing that chefs have found. A little slow if you ask me, I've been eating Grits most my life. For sure salt and butter, never tried sugar and best with a Pork Chop, but have done the Shrimp a few times.
    Nah, Chip! You gotta try a REAL Southern breakfast...grits, country ham, eggs fried sunny side up with one of them great big ole "cat head" biscuits like grandma used to make. She used lard as shortening. Biscuits were so moist and tender...rip one open while still hot, cram a slab of fresh, home churned butter (REAL butter) in it. Hot pancakes slothered in that same butter and covered with home made cane syrup topped off with a cup of fresh (perked) hot coffee. Ah, man! Where's my time machine? I need to go back there again. (Sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by CENTEXDUDE View Post
    have enjoyed grits all of my life......good source of iron
    Grits are only high in iron if fortified (in other words if mass produced and store bought). Natural (home made) grits have very little iron.

Just FYI.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Nah, Chip! You gotta try a REAL Southern breakfast...grits, country ham, eggs fried sunny side up with one of them great big ole "cat head" biscuits like grandma used to make. She used lard as shortening. Biscuits were so moist and tender...rip one open while still hot, cram a slab of fresh, home churned butter (REAL butter) in it. Hot pancakes slothered in that same butter and covered with home made cane syrup topped off with a cup of fresh (perked) hot coffee. Ah, man! Where's my time machine? I need to go back there again. (Sigh)
    I've done that in my younger years, but now lean Mexican with Huevos Rancheros, taters, refried beans, and tortillas all done in lard, (Manteca), just like Abuela used to make. Very rarely, if traveling in the south I might do a breakfast like that at a noted diner along the way, but I still need some kind of fire, even if a fresh pepper. I'm taking 5 lbs of fresh Serranos on a packin hunt in Canada in a few weeks. Gotta have some heat.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 08-05-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I've done that in my younger years, but now lean Mexican with Huevos Rancheros, taters, refried beans, and tortillas all done in lard, (Manteca), just like Abel used to make. Very rarely, if traveling in the south I might do a breakfast like that at a noted diner along the way, but I still need some kind of fire, even if a fresh pepper. I'm taking 5 lbs of fresh Serranos on a packin hunt in Canada in a few weeks. Gotta have some heat.
    That there ain't a bad "surrounding" either, Pard. And yep, you're gonna need some heat on that hunting trip. Kind of envy you, though. I absolutely love the wilderness areas.

I do beg your pardon flock,, they most certainly do get shrimp and Andouille sausage with three cheeses.. over biscuits, mmm, mmm, mmmm