Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hubs and I picked our grapes yesterday

OMG! Hahahaha! But at the same time, that suuuucks!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Nice score on the grapes. I think I've lost my concords to Blight, and we were gonna have a boat load of them. Muscadines are still looking good and we've got a bunch of them on as well. but they aren't ready until September.
    Our blueberries, well 2 bushes were loaded this year. twice I picked a gallon off each bush. But our other 7 bushes didn't produce a gallon together. Not sure what went on with them. We froze a bunch, ate them fresh, and wife made some awesome jam with what we got.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Muscadine grow wild around here and they are everywhere. I love making jelly and jam with them.
    I'm sorry to hear about your concords. Have you tried a soap n vinegar wash to kill the blight? It seems to work well on ours.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Muscadines grow wild here as well. My plants came from as cutting from my dad's plants. His came from cuttings from his dads plants. I have no clue where they started at before that.
    They are very tasty. Jellies is what we've always used them for. An old friend of mine makes some killer wine with his. I have red and white Muscadines.
    I haven't tried a wash on the concords. never even heard of it before. I'll check them closely tomorrow, but I think they are well past the point of any help this year.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    My blueberry bushes were fully loaded this year, heavier than they ever were...............the chickens ate them. Didn't even get one.
    Blue berry flavored fried chicken...gonna have to try that one.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Muscadines grow wild here as well. My plants came from as cutting from my dad's plants. His came from cuttings from his dads plants. I have no clue where they started at before that.
    They are very tasty. Jellies is what we've always used them for. An old friend of mine makes some killer wine with his. I have red and white Muscadines.
    I haven't tried a wash on the concords. never even heard of it before. I'll check them closely tomorrow, but I think they are well past the point of any help this year.
    Ever see a bunch of crows or possums after they eat a bunch of muscadines that fell from the vine and fermented? Staggering around all over the place. Crows flapping their wings trying to fly and can't. Funnier than watching Gerald Ford trying to walk between two walls without running into them, or trying to get on or off Air Force One. I could tell y'all some hilarious stories about how clumsy he was.

Beo, I have saw crows in Muscadine mode. LOL Pretty funny. Ford was pretty funny to watch as well. He was suppose to be a fall guy in his brief role as Prez. Thus why he choose Nelson Rockafeller as VP.

cammi, I got my cart before the horse about my concord grapes. Some are blighted, but not all. Gonna hit them tomorrow and see what I get from them. They haven't all turned yet, but enough have to be worth picking. They do taste good, nice sweet and juicy the ones I picked and ate while mowing today. I am happy we'll get something from them.

Bacpacker. How did your grapes do with the treatment?

Never had time to get into them Cammi I hate to say. Been too busy this summer to get near as much done as I had planned.

Aww man! Don't you hate when your labor gets wasted... Especially for lack of time.... I love being retired. Have all the time the good lord will allow me now.