Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To my Texas friends.... update on our power grid

Damp/water soaked drapes can help if theres a breeze.

Its a shadow government conspiracy...they have the cobra weather dominator turned up as high as it goes to insure freedom loving Texans all have swamp ass

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    Damp/water soaked drapes can help if theres a breeze.
    For a large majority of Texas, that wonít help as it is so humid that with just having your windows open at night they will end up being damp the next morning. Out in west Texas though, that would probably work, if you could find the water to do that with.

Most people really donít understand just how big Texas is and how much the climate varies from one part of the state to another. I once left Dallas and headed to California. It took me driving non stop(except to get gas) for 10 hours before I passed through El Paso and into New Mexico. When a blue norther blows in, it can be 85 degrees in Brownsville and 25 degrees in Dalhart. You can find swamp land in east Texas, prairies in central Texas, deserts in west Texas, and mountains around the Big Bend area. There are places in Texas where the winter snow fall total can be measured in feet, and there are also places that when we have a single hail storm, the total amount of hail can be measured in inches. Blizzards, dust storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, straight line winds, electrical storms, they can all be found here.

It is due to the large physical size and wide variety of climates as to why so many people like to move here, not to mention the financial state we are in due to many years of conservative(ish) political decisions.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Its a shadow government conspiracy...they have the cobra weather dominator turned up as high as it goes to insure freedom loving Texans all have swamp ass
    Well, yesterday it was 114 here. I installed soaker hoses all around our house to keep our foundation watered. By 9am I was done so I went and took a shower. At 3pm my wife was doing laundry and she stated that my clothes were still wet from sweat!!!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

That's something new to me.......... watering your foundation?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

My next place, if it ever happens, will have one entire level below ground, with a basement below that. That is where I will be during the hot and cold spells.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    For a large majority of Texas, that wonít help as it is so humid that with just having your windows open at night they will end up being damp the next morning. Out in west Texas though, that would probably work, if you could find the water to do that with.

Most people really donít understand just how big Texas is and how much the climate varies from one part of the state to another. I once left Dallas and headed to California. It took me driving non stop(except to get gas) for 10 hours before I passed through El Paso and into New Mexico. When a blue norther blows in, it can be 85 degrees in Brownsville and 25 degrees in Dalhart. You can find swamp land in east Texas, prairies in central Texas, deserts in west Texas, and mountains around the Big Bend area. There are places in Texas where the winter snow fall total can be measured in feet, and there are also places that when we have a single hail storm, the total amount of hail can be measured in inches. Blizzards, dust storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, straight line winds, electrical storms, they can all be found here.

It is due to the large physical size and wide variety of climates as to why so many people like to move here, not to mention the financial state we are in due to many years of conservative(ish) political decisions.
    I thought we used extreme weather to keep the Yankee CarpetBaggers out.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I'm out in it every single day, people have become spoiled and wussified to climate control.......... my wife didn't have running water in her home growing up let alone a/c bahaha. You weinnies will get used to it, if not...more resources for the tuff ones! Pets will be just fine, they're smarter than people when it comes to self perseverance..... it's the animal in them. Lol
    That's a fact flock6. We didn't have A/C when I was a kid and we never missed it...ignorance is bliss.

Thanks for the update 91CavGT. I look forward to more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    That's something new to me.......... watering your foundation?
    Yup. If we don't do it, the ground under the foundation will dry and shrink and can cause the foundation to shift and fracture. Never a good thing.

Don't forget lots of BUGS and just as many bird species and....Texas is steeped with ALL kinds of wildlife! Texas has it ALL!
    Only the strong will survive in Texas after SHTF! If the heat and bugs don't get the flakes, the Texas rednecks will!

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post

Last edited by Camouflaged; 07-26-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!