Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Bugout - Evac....

Default Beyond Bugout - Evac....

Had a wakeup call today....we live in a part of the county that is prone to wildfires about this time of year....record high temps (115d) combined with low humidity (15%) have started 4 fires today within a few hours. We know we're in Fire Country, and have a plan of sorts, but this one was close, made me start thinkin'....

One was uncomfortably close....10 miles to the East with 30 mph winds blowing towards us.....[Edit the next am - it is still going, but 25% contained, winds are down, I think we will be ok this time]

So this begs the question.....what to do when you have to leave all in a hurry? Not a bug out, not a bug in, but a get the h*ll out right now....?
    I imagine this is similar to a hurricane/tornado back east....so maybe there is something to be learned from those, have any of you been through one?

So the question is: what do you take from your primary residence when you have 1 hr notice and may well not see it again?

Here's what I figure are 'must takes' : We have 2 vehicles, a Jeep and a Chevy truck, so that's all the room we have.
    Laptops
    All guns and ammo (yikes:0)
    Important papers (Deeds/passports, etc)
    Animals (this is going to be a tough one)..A trailer for the horses and goats, the 3 dogs go with us..chickens are SOL...
    Coins
    'Treasures' - I have some old guitars etc. that are irreplaceable
    BOB's
    Water - lots
    Food for us and the animals
    Beer

I think I could get all this packed in an hour....did I miss anything obvious?

I'm not too sure about the beer. To me, that would fall under the luxury dept., not necessity. Replace beer with additional water. That's the one thing you absolutely CANNOT go very long without.

I was kidding about the beer....kinda...

i am a keyboard commando on this for sure and I didn't even stay at a holiday inn express last night either.

We purchased an ancient Winnebago for this purpose. We keep get out of dodge supplies in there. Gives us another storage location. Dual purpose.
    https://www.whenshtf.com/threads/546...ight=winnebago

Or find yourself an old travel trailer. I have purchased 3 all for under $1,000. Last one was a 16 ft that I bought a month ago had been gutted and the owner lost interest in finishing the restoration. I am using it for storage, but something like that you could pre position some things like animal food, water, MRE's, camping gear etc etc. That saves you time in the event of a bug out. Would also give you a place to live in the worst case of your place burns down.

Do you have a place to easily bury an old freezer, or just make a "root cellar"? might put some things in that cache that would likely survive a fire if you buried it deep enough.

finally given where you live an investment in Barricade fire gel might be a wise thing.
    http://www.firegel.com/default.aspx

When we lived in hurricane country of West Palm Beach I had three check lists based on how much time we had to prepare to bug out.
    15 min list, 4 hour list, 24 hour list. Most of the 15 min list was staged by the back door.

Replace beer with water? You mean like water from the toilet? Lol. Even my alcohol is ready, and bugged out

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    i am a keyboard commando on this for sure and I didn't even stay at a holiday inn express last night either.

We purchased an ancient Winnebago for this purpose. We keep get out of dodge supplies in there. Gives us another storage location. Dual purpose.

Or find yourself an old travel trailer. I have purchased 3 all for under $1,000. Last one was a 16 ft that I bought a month ago had been gutted and the owner lost interest in finishing the restoration. I am using it for storage, but something like that you could pre position some things like animal food, water, MRE's, camping gear etc etc. That saves you time in the event of a bug out. Would also give you a place to live in the worst case of your place burns down.

Do you have a place to easily bury an old freezer, or just make a "root cellar"? might put some things in that cache that would likely survive a fire if you buried it deep enough.

finally given where you live an investment in Barricade fire gel might be a wise thing.
    http://www.firegel.com/default.aspx

When we lived in hurricane country of West Palm Beach I had three check lists based on how much time we had to prepare to bug out.
    15 min list, 4 hour list, 24 hour list. Most of the 15 min list was staged by the back door.
    Thank you! Some great ideas there! Preparing for something like this is quite different than the way I've been prepping....

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Replace beer with water? You mean like water from the toilet? Lol. Even my alcohol is ready, and bugged out
    Yep, I figger there's no saying where we'll end up if this happens...depends on the location of the fire. We are not the types to go to a typical 'evacuation center', no way.....heading back towards the city will put us in with everyone else. Heading out to the country may be a little riskier, but that where our BOL is......and I don't keep booze out there this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    Aha...looky what I just found.....look familiar Explo?
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...636329752.html

Great ideas explo. Got me thinking.

If I had a used trailer that I could fix just for storage and of course it would be mobile that would be the first thing I pack and move to safe location prior to be told to evacuate. This way if the order did come the trailer for livestock would be all you have to tow and you could bring your beer. 🍺🍺🍺

Although we plan for all kinds of things they never seem to happen the way we envision them. Now where did I put that crystal ball??
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Aha...looky what I just found.....look familiar Explo?
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...636329752.html
    awesome ! that's a pretty good buy, better than mine was.

bet there are a bunch of pull behind trailers cheap also.

if you have three drivers you could take the RV and both the Jeep and Chevy truck
    or if you have an old travel trailer you could just pull the trailer behind one of them w two drivers.

the flaw in my plan is that we are only two drivers and don't have a means to pull either my crew cab pickup or the honda pilot behind the RV.
    looked at tow dollys but they are $800-$1,000.
    so for a situation where we would need to leave our retreat it would be the pickup and the RV and the honda would be sacrificed.

preppers are always short of storage, least we always are and these are cheaper than a garden shed - and mobile !