Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water storage

I have to admit I don't store much water. Enough for maybe a month of drinking water. no more because too much time and effort to rotate it, since we have a huge pond, and a river close to our house. Also decent yearly rainfall. I do have ample water purifiers for drinking water if things get bad, and ample means to collect and boil water, and filter it.

Hey Flock, those crawdads are dang good eating. Taste just like lobster.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I have to admit I don't store much water. Enough for maybe a month of drinking water. no more because too much time and effort to rotate it, since we have a huge pond, and a river close to our house. Also decent yearly rainfall. I do have ample water purifiers for drinking water if things get bad, and ample means to collect and boil water, and filter it.

Hey Flock, those crawdads are dang good eating. Taste just like lobster.
    crawdad tails dipped in warm melted garlic butter....YOWSA!!!!

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    .... All good no runs........
    Shoot, I was hoping to find a substitute for X-lax

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    We go many consecutive months without rain in CA's central valley during the late spring, summer and early fall - for instance, as of right now, we've had zero precipitation since I think April. Yes it's a big agriculture area, but that's due predominantly to irrigation from May to November. We do get rainfall in the late autumn/winter and early spring. I've collected rainwater previously but it requires treatment before use... That would be mostly for sanitation purposes like washing dishes and flushing toilets. The barrels are hopefully enough to get us through a dry patch if the city mains were out for a while. Enough time to stay put and wait out a short term event, or enough time to gather more information on a developing situation and then execute a well-considered plan instead of a panic evac.

Reminds me, we need a couple gallons of bleach or a canister of pool shock to have on hand for treating rainwater if necessary.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Man, if I were in your shoes I'd be storing all I could too. I'm sure you know bleach doesn't last very long.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Man, if I were in your shoes I'd be storing all I could too. I'm sure you know bleach doesn't last very long.
    I have a couple of gizmos that are supposed to turn brine into bleach, but haven't tested them yet. I know, bad dog. We've got the non-iodized salt to use though. If I get some down-time in November maybe that'll pop up on the to-do list.

For short term (90 days) generic bleach is good. Pool shock keeps longer but emits caustic vapors that rust steel and corrode other metals, so storage can be a question of how to do it without more problems caused than solved.

Salt, at least, is an easy keeper and won't degrade. With the right tools and a bit of 12v current you can make hour own bleach on demand... or so the theory goes. I may get to find out.
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-28-2020 at 01:09 AM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    We go many consecutive months without rain in CA's central valley during the late spring, summer and early fall - for instance, as of right now, we've had zero precipitation since I think April. Yes it's a big agriculture area, but that's due predominantly to irrigation from May to November. We do get rainfall in the late autumn/winter and early spring. I've collected rainwater previously but it requires treatment before use... That would be mostly for sanitation purposes like washing dishes and flushing toilets. The barrels are hopefully enough to get us through a dry patch if the city mains were out for a while. Enough time to stay put and wait out a short term event, or enough time to gather more information on a developing situation and then execute a well-considered plan instead of a panic evac.

Reminds me, we need a couple gallons of bleach or a canister of pool shock to have on hand for treating rainwater if necessary.

isn't the central valley section of S CA allll pumped in water? - I can very much guarantee a water main disruption during a major SHTF >>> only hope would be a gooberment seizure of the ops and putting military in charge .....

Right now we have a lot of water stored in solid form on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Really?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    It's coming here this weekend too,