Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water storage

Default Water storage

Got a question that I didn't see answered in the Water Primer Sticky....

So the big one is coming/hits and I have time to fill up a bunch of plastic water bottles of all sizes, 1 Gal, 3 Gal, 5 Gal......How long will that water remain good/drinkable under normal conditions? Stored in a dark dry area of course. With a tight cap seal......

I know store bought water will prob have a longer shelf life since it is sealed in pristine conditions in a factory.....right(?) But how long for home-filler water?

Straight water? It'll last until something in it grows: mold, algae, whatever. Can't say without knowing what's in it. Could go in 3 months, could go in a year.

Adding some bleach to it? If kept sealed in a good container it'll last years.

The container is the major point. Milk jugs split in 6-12 months. Soda bottles do better, but not as well as purpose-made water containers.

8 drops bleach/gallon water. Doesn't take much.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I have water specific storage containers.....to be honest I have been wary of chlorine bleach (although i realize it is in all our water). It is horrible for humans (I know from personal experience)

But a few drops per gallon....meh, I guess......that was easy......Thanks....

You covered this, but out on oilfield locations, they use black tanks for water because nothing can grow in dark apparently, or maybe it retards growth. Yea, I know what you mean I don't drink city water period. That's just the rule of thumb.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

If you're worried about the bleach, you can let the water stand before use and it will evaporate out.

Black barrels do keep the light out which keeps algae from growing.

I really like the gallon tea containers with the external handle for water storage (much thicker/sturdier than pop or milk containers). I have about 25 of these filled on my basement steps. They have come in handy in cleanup situations, or flushing in a power outage....don't know if I would drink untreated, year old water, but would if needed.

Besides storing water you would want to have at least one water filter (can be a cheap $20 one like the Sawyer Mini). Then if your stored water "goes bad" you can still filter it and drink it. Plus you could capture rain water, filter it, and drink it. Or use pond. lake. or river water after you filter it. And the water filter would last a looong time.

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    I really like the gallon tea containers with the external handle for water storage (much thicker/sturdier than pop or milk containers). I have about 25 of these filled on my basement steps. They have come in handy in cleanup situations, or flushing in a power outage....don't know if I would drink untreated, year old water, but would if needed.
    Good idea, the milk jugs are pretty flimsy.....

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Besides storing water you would want to have at least one water filter (can be a cheap $20 one like the Sawyer Mini). Then if your stored water "goes bad" you can still filter it and drink it. Plus you could capture rain water, filter it, and drink it. Or use pond. lake. or river water after you filter it. And the water filter would last a looong time.
    On my list of things to get.......