Thread: Coworker is going to test for Technician class license this week.

Default Coworker is going to test for Technician class license this week.

One of my fellow co workers is going to try taking his Technicians class license test this week. I wish him luck on his test.

Some time back I told him that when we are not busy at work ..I let the boss know how to get in touch with me via cell phone if I am needed ...and monitor my shorwave set and world wide news and the Hams during this slack time.

He expressed an interest in short wave monitoring and got himself a short wave set.

He was also astonished with my Baofeng dual band walkie talkie which I keep in a storage locker at work...and decided to get himself one though he has no license to use it on the Ham bands. I programmed some MURS frequencies and also some GMRS/FRS frequencies into it for him.

I also demonstrated for him the difference in simplex operation and then duplex operation. Simplex being radio to radio...and duplex being radio to repeater and then repeated out to another radio.

This got him interested in taking the license test for Technician class.

What I did today here at home is go out to my garage and check out one of my spare J pole antennas for being operational and also found the adapter which allows one to hook up this antenna to the rubber duckie port on a walkie talkie after unscrewing the antenna. Once this aluminum antenna is raised into the air....it allows for much better range on both simple and duplex operations.

Depending on his home set up....I will give it to him as it is a spare antenna around here...just taking up space.

I wish him well on his test and he also expressed a desire to take the General Class license test.

This is a bit more involved but if he can pass it and get the right gear ...he can join me and my friend out in Tennessee on the 75 meter band.

Which reminds me....watching the clock ..it is time for the Virginia Phone net to meet on 75 meters so I'd best get with it.

Thanks to all and a very 73 to the members and their houses,
    Orangetom

Good for him, and I hope he does well.

When he passes his tech, he should IMMEDIATELY try the General test.....odds are pretty good that he will pass that too. And it doesn't cost any extra...
    Good medicine in bad places

I tried that to no avail. Need to study up and get my general. Not much going on here unless I get an antenna up, I can't check into the sunday evening net any more on my HT for some reason. I'm in a hole at the house, but used to reach the repeaters from same hole.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Good for him, and I hope he does well.

When he passes his tech, he should IMMEDIATELY try the General test.....odds are pretty good that he will pass that too. And it doesn't cost any extra...

Fidel ,MD,
    Thanks for reminding me about passing the test. That is exactly what happened to me so many years go when I took the novice test. They asked me if I wanted to take the test for Technician class. I was apprehensive about it as I had not seen the question pool for the Technician Class but took it nonetheless and passed.

So yes..it can indeed be so done and this evening I saw this fellow briefly and passed on this advice to him about taking the General class if he passes the Technician class test...he has nothing to lose here. I told him that if he was comfortable with the Technician class question pool..to take a look at the General Class question pool between now and Saturday.

If he passes both of them I will be jumping up and down and sailing popcorn boxes across the room.

I took the General and Advanced test in one session too...but after I passed....I did not even have an HF rig. It took me some months to get an HF rig...but it was worth it to know I could do it. Same with the Extra Class test...I wanted to know if I could do it.

I wish my coworker much luck and fortune in taking these tests. I will be elated to find out he passed his technician test and should he pass the general...I will be super happy...and as I said...sailing popcorn boxes across the room.

Thanks for reminding me Fidel. MD. I passed that on to him this evening at work.

Orangetom

Coworker texted me today and told me he passed the Technician class test and I congratulated him.

I did not hear how he fared on the General test. I told him to take it anyways...as it is good experience for him to know what it is with which he will be dealing down the road.

Thanks and 73 to all,
    Orangetom

I checked the QRZ.com site for my coworkers name and his call sign is posted there. He now has a call sign....and able to work the airwaves on his assigned frequencies for Technician Class license.

This evening I journeyed across town to his place and helped him put up one of the aluminum J pole antennas I made some years back. We put it up without any mast..but a para cord line over a tree limb and hoisting the antenna up It is not a big heavy antenna for 2 meters/70 CM bands.

Calling him on the phone tonight I told him what his new call sign was and invited him to join me on one of the local repeaters. I told him to watch his language as our standard shipyard vocals/usage would not suffice.

But he came in full quieting and the distance is about 8 to 9 miles from here. Simplex would not work but he made the repeater just fine...full quieting.

He will work on learning to manually program his radios....he is using a Baofeng type radio with 2 meters and 70 CM capabilities.

It is good to see and congratulate another ham on getting their license.

Thanks,
    Orangetom