Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feral Dog Fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by wate View Post
    you'll need a SAW lmg and grenade launchers, claymore mines, NVD goggles, rifle armor, all sorts of stuff and you'll still get your herd shot up and the meat taken. You might be able to keep them from burning you out, if you're really well armed and skilled, but they can just slip up at night and pop your lifestock and dogs. Nothing you can do about it.
    And just where are all these very lethal people coming from? You do know that most farmers and ranchers live and work well away from population centers?

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Mauled by datsuns lol. I'm going back to read it, just had to get that out so I could remain objective.
    The only time I've ever been bitten by a dog, it was a dachshund. Poor guy wasn't feeling well that day...
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by wate View Post
    My entire family is made up of farmers, all in S Illinois and they are 100 miles from St Louis, 250 miles from Chicago. There's millions of people within 1 tank of gas driving range from any place in the lower 48 states. 400 miles. Lay out a map and draw some circles, you'll see. and if you "think" that you know all your neighbors, you're full of it. Get an aerial map and draw a 30 mile radius around your place. Anyone can walk 30 miles in 2 days. So it doens't have to be hordes of people from the "city". It'll problaby be you neighbor. If you "think" that he's gonna watch his kids starve, rather than kill you and take your food, you're quite naive about the realities of life. you're also quite ignorant about how easy it will be to snipe a fool who "thinks' he can continue farming/ranching, guarding his grain and livestock, once shtf.
    Have you Ever been out west? The distances are vast. From my house it is over 200 miles of mostly winding mountain roads to just get to a city with a real airport. You know nothing about where I live. About 6 people per sq mile in the county where I live with most of them in or near one of the towns. It is not uncommon to see a herd of 50 elk on my property every few days. And it is hard to go a single day without seeing at least a few elk here besides other game. Two grown elk would feed my wife and I for a year.
    Why would my neighbors risk their lives trying to take my stuff when they could just butcher one of their cows? Or shoot one of the elk that are on their property too just about every day?
    No one is safe from a sniper no matter where you live, except you because you will be living in that tunnel you are going to dig without anyone knowing you are there.

Anyone can walk 30 miles in 2 days.
    That is a total BS statement. It would be very lucky if even half of the population could do that, even in the flat lands where apparently you live. And anyone walking that far would need water. Normally a gallon per day. Two gallons would weigh 16 pounds they would have to carry. In the west it would not be uncommon to be 30 miles from any known water source.

In every area of conflict in the world there has been a proliferation of feral dogs. They are eventually put down when a stable government is established. Where the government exists but is not "stable," feral dogs are still a public safety concern. Kosovo has annual dog hunts where the hunter gets 5 Euros per dead dog. (People who want to keep their dogs keep them inside the barns or pens until hunting season is over.)

Remember some years back we had a bunch of "wate" characters who just knew none of us would survive and we were all helpless because we just didn't know the real world!

I can't imagine any situation (except Old Yeller) where one would need to shoot their own pets. Sounds like a psychotic fantasy.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Quote Originally Posted by VoorTrekker View Post
    In every area of conflict in the world there has been a proliferation of feral dogs. They are eventually put down when a stable government is established. Where the government exists but is not "stable," feral dogs are still a public safety concern. Kosovo has annual dog hunts where the hunter gets 5 Euros per dead dog. (People who want to keep their dogs keep them inside the barns or pens until hunting season is over.)

Remember some years back we had a bunch of "wate" characters who just knew none of us would survive and we were all helpless because we just didn't know the real world!

I can't imagine any situation (except Old Yeller) where one would need to shoot their own pets. Sounds like a psychotic fantasy.

I don't have a dog for personal reasons >>> but I can see rescuing a few good canines from abandoned/dead households in a serious SHTF scenario - guard duty - hunting - companionship ....

AND - the "wate" character can keep his opinion to himself - not at all interested ...

I hadn't thought about rescuing, good suggestion. a rescued dog becomes really loyal and bonds strongly with people. I also can't think of any reason anyone would have to "off" their pets except for martial law or overrun by a foreign army.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!

I hadn't thought about rescuing, good suggestion. a rescued dog becomes really loyal and bonds strongly with people. I also can't think of any reason anyone would have to "off" their pets except for martial law or overrun by a foreign army.
    Or if you run out of food in a shtf scenario.
    Even now many people have financial issues and decide to get rid of their pets to save money. At that point these people basically have three choices...take the pets to a shelter where if no one adopts them in certain period of time they are euthanized, dump the pets in the country where they usually die a slow death, or humanely kill them.

Yeah, the first two are bad enough. We get abandoned pets around here all the time, pets displaced by storms and hurricanes...eventually they are also put down for the public safety.

If memory serves there was an issue with feral dogs in New Orleans post Katrina. Years ago had a neighbor whose horses were attacked by another neighbors dogs. After that, that neighbor didn't have any dogs anymore. In my time working in the ER I seen a few dog attack victims. Here in TN we have a state mandated leash law. If I'm faced with an aggressive dog bearing his teeth we are going to be test the ballistic capabilities of what ever I'm carrying at the time.

??? - all kinds of SHTFs where the correct thing to do would be to put down your animals - can't trap them inside to die a horrible death and just releasing a domestic breed dog/cat isn't much better >>>> definitely not good for us humans and the smaller wildlife ...

if a pandemic hit and the population started dying off in their sick beds - can't begin to image all those trapped pets - worst Hollyweird nitemare ....