Thread: The Book : Inlaws & Outlaws - The DNA Mystery of a Music Icon's Son

Default The Book : Inlaws & Outlaws - The DNA Mystery of a Music Icon's Son

Were any of you adopted as a young'un ? Any Buddy Holly fans out there in WhenSHTF world ? After over twenty years of searching, we finally found my biological father through the "magic" of DNA...and what we learned was astounding. No, my father was *not* Buddy Holly...but his best friend was my First Father. And his passing made headlines around the world as well.

For a moment, imagine everything you thought you knew about your life, your parents and siblings, your entire identity, turned out to be some sort of twisted fiction. Add a bit of cloak and dagger to the mix and you'll have an idea of where this story takes you. You're not really who you thought you were - you're actually someone else in the same familiar body you've always known. You need to begin a new life story, putting the puzzle pieces in place as you go along.

One fellow put it to me very succinctly: "It's like you have one of those huge, 1000-piece jig-saw puzzles in front of you...except you don't have the picture on the front of the box to look at."

This is an easy read, written in my informal style with a dash of West Texas wit. Everyone tells me they "couldn't put it down", and it has been well-received. Git your copy on Amazon (link) - as always, honest reviews are much appreciated. Thanks !

JB

Amazon_Preview_Cover.jpg

I'll have to check this out. My father screwed around on my mother and she caught him and divorced when I was about 3-4 yo. I remember very little, mom remarried and her husband adopted my sister and I. He is the only Daddy I ever really knew, but not my blood. I've been curious but never saw him reach out so didn't really think much or it.
    Fast forward to about 5 years ago, and up until now have done 4 surgeries to fix issues from my youth. So, every pre surgery thing is a physical or checkup, blood work, and questionnaire in which they ask about medical history of father and mother. It's been bothering me more and I finally found him on Facebook. He's still married to woman he cheated on my mother with, granted they married when she was 17 and he 19, so pretty young and stupid and from small town. He has twin sons, one of them was Qb for Clemson and I think just retired from Qb playing in Germany.

Regardless, at times I'd like to meet him face to face, I don't know how I'd react, but would like to at least sit and talk and learn about my history.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Wow, interesting thread. After I was born, I was left on the side of the road, in the middle of winter. It was in the city, so I was discovered rather quickly and brought to the hospital. The Dr said I was about 2 hours old. The state, in its infinite wisdom put me in a state care for two years while they tried to determine my parents. They say your personality develops in the first two years, well that is what I blame mine on, lol.. I don't like being around people much, especially large (>5) groups and a number of other odd feelings usually when trying to relate with others. No shrink used nor required. After the two years, the state released me for adoption, and I ended up with the most caring and loving parents one could ever want. There was no lack of discipline, in those days, looking at the flip side of the coin.

As I've grown up, I look more and more different than my brother (their biological child), and like Chip said, those medical questionnaires, I just put down I didn't know. All of this leads to suppressed anxiety. So I finally went the DNA route and after a few years, a first cousin on my fathers side popped up. My fathers generation all died out, except for one aunt. Unfortunately the cousin and the aunt are on opposite sides of a family dispute, hahaha. I would still like to meet them, strangely enough, to talk with them about the past and interested in seeing someone that looks like me..... well my son does (which pisses off the X)

As far as the book, thanks for bringing it to light, but it might open some old wounds in me. Don't even bring up the woman's lib subject of its my body and I have the right to kill the child.....

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I'll have to check this out. My father screwed around on my mother and she caught him and divorced when I was about 3-4 yo. I remember very little, mom remarried and her husband adopted my sister and I. He is the only Daddy I ever really knew, but not my blood. I've been curious but never saw him reach out so didn't really think much or it.
    Fast forward to about 5 years ago, and up until now have done 4 surgeries to fix issues from my youth. So, every pre surgery thing is a physical or checkup, blood work, and questionnaire in which they ask about medical history of father and mother. It's been bothering me more and I finally found him on Facebook. He's still married to woman he cheated on my mother with, granted they married when she was 17 and he 19, so pretty young and stupid and from small town. He has twin sons, one of them was QB for Clemson and I think just retired from QB playing in Germany.

Regardless, at times I'd like to meet him face to face, I don't know how I'd react, but would like to at least sit and talk and learn about my history.
    My First Father passed away from Parkinson's Disease about 8 months before we discovered who he was. Fortunately, my own MD says I do not exhibit any of the indicators for PD. The maternal side is pretty much a lost cause in my mind - a brother that makes excuses not to meet me, one whacked-out sister in an institution with a lengthy arrest record, and another sister that died young after having gone thru SEVEN marriages.....the whole maternal side is kinda weird and dysfunctional. I struck gold with the paternal side, though, and they're stuck with me.

Regardless, having the information is helpful. This photo has never been published - Buddy Holly and my First Father playing together at a birthday party...part of a new book on Buddy's early life in Lubbock I am helping with (restoring old photos). Best of luck to you, KingChip - I hope you find the answers you seek.

Buddy_Bob_1.jpg

We had some interesting things pop up in our family tree when some of us started messing around on ancestry.com. First we found out that my Great Aunt had a daughter out of wedlock, got shipped to distant relatives to have the baby and gave it up, only to have the granddaughter of the adopted daughter come looking for our side of the family. My great aunt died without telling her sons that they had a sister. They were kinda upset. Its funny, I know it was a verboten back then, but now we just appreciate the truth and a new family member, ya know? Then recently my cousin did a DNA test and found out that her mom(my aunt), my mom and uncle had an older sister. We found that she was a love child that my grandfather had(though he probably never knew she was even pregnant), before he met my grandmother. The mother of the child was institutionalize a couple of times and the baby girl was adopted out. Turns out she's been living 45 minutes from my Aunt for decades. My mom and aunt just recent went to meet her and they said it was like they'd known eachother forever and that she is a lovely person. Life is funny!

"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow-deep, to know our heritage- to know who we are and where we have come from. Without this enriching knowledge, there is a hollow yearning. No matter what our attainments in life, there is still a vacuum, an emptiness, and the most disquieting loneliness."

Alex Haley

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    We had some interesting things pop up in our family tree when some of us started messing around on ancestry.com. First we found out that my Great Aunt had a daughter out of wedlock, got shipped to distant relatives to have the baby and gave it up, only to have the granddaughter of the adopted daughter come looking for our side of the family. My great aunt died without telling her sons that they had a sister. They were kinda upset. Its funny, I know it was a verboten back then, but now we just appreciate the truth and a new famly member, ya know? Then recently my cousin did a DNA test and found out that her mom(my aunt), my mom and uncle had an older sister. We found that she was a love child that my grandfather had(though he probably never knew she was even pregnant), before he met my grandmother. The mother of the child was institutionalize a couple of times and the baby girl was adopted out. Turns out she's been living 45 minutes from my Aunt for decades. My mom and aunt just recent went to meet her and they said it was like they'd known each other forever and that she is a lovely person. Life is funny!
    We've also had some surprises pop up along this journey. My wife discovered she had an older sister she never knew of, and her mom was going to take that secret to the grave with her. And I just learned that I might have a love child daughter (now grown) in Georgia, so were are awaiting those DNA results ! I guess there will be a sequel to the book - we'll call it "DNA Double-Take". So many stories out there !

Pretty sure I'm not an heir to the throne so I really don't care where I came from.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Pretty sure I'm not an heir to the throne so I really don't care where I came from.
    I'd check to be sure, King of Tennessee would not suck. OTOH, I'm not sending my DNA to anybody, I might be related to Obama or something.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I'd check to be sure, King of Tennessee would not suck. OTOH, I'm not sending my DNA to anybody, I might be related to Obama or something.
    Exactly
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.