Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GREETINGS from The Alamo City of Texas

They came in kinda handy in Sa back in 1836 when they came to help out at Alamo. But you can't visit Austin and call it Texas, that's Berkeley east.

I'm just up the road on Lake LBJ. Glad you found us, there's lots to read and a few to ask. Thanks for your service, and welcome.

My mother lives in 254 and both kids live in 209.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 05-11-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Campflaged,

SOME of us "wild & rebellious Texicans" ARE hillbillies. = I plead "guilty as charged" to that, being born/raised in Camp/Franklin/Morris/Titus County.

The main difference in most Northeast TX 'billies & the hillbillies from other places is that our best 3 years of "fedrul gubmint apruvd publick screwl" wasn't 5th grade. - Some of us even finish Junior High by the skin of our teeth.
    ROTFLMRAO.

Btw a bit of our family history: Our family was originally from Yorkshire, UK, were banished to Charlestown SC in 1622 (as a result of a "misunderstanding" about "the ownership of some livestock"), moved about 4 decades later to northern AL to farm & then to Marshall County, MS about 1750 to raise pigs & make white likker.
    The first of "our bunch", a pair of newlyweds, came to Nacogdoches, New Spain in 1822, to escape "an unfortunate circumstance" in Holly Springs & the rest of the family fled to TX about 2 steps ahead of the DY army in 1865.
    (CS Partisan Rangers weren't "really popular" with the DYs after TWBTS.)

ADDENDA: At least 22 boys/men from the family left home to follow the Starry Cross flag of Southron LIBERTY. - NINE of them returned home alive.
    Five members of the family died while a guest of the DYs: 4 at the hellhole of Point Lookout, MD of disease/starvation & one DOW at Camp Douglas, IL, in Jan 1865
    Six other men/boys, who were "too old, too young or unfit to serve in the Forces", became CS Partisan Rangers. - 4 of those 6 survived TWBTS, with one of the surviving veterans (age 57) losing his right arm at the shoulder & another 14YO PR losing his left eye.

I said all of that to say this: You can "get the papers on us" as PURE Dixie hillbillies.

yours, tex
    Last edited by satx78247; 05-12-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    "Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to Almighty God." Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Welcome, and even if you if you haven't divulged your MOS, don't worry, I doubt there's anybody here who'll hold it against you if'n you ain't nothin' but a nasty ol' POG.
    In all seriousness, glad to have you here. We're all learnin' from each other.

Rich Vale 74,

Fwiw, I had THREE primary MOS over my career: 11C20, 95C30 and 31D35.

yours, tex

My family came to Austin Colony ahead of the Old 300 also arriving in 1824. Had 3 die after being caught by Mx Cavalry while headed to Goliad to help Fannin. Lost another at Goliad under Fannin. Had a family of father and five sons at San Jacinto four who fought and father and youngest son in supply there, names on the monument, Winters. Some of them fought in War of Northern Aggression with group out of Texas but I don't know anything about the details. I'd like to find out more, but also want to track wife family that came in late 1700's to settle a land grant from Viceroy of Spain in Cuba. FIL still ranches part of that grant along the Rio Grande. Some day.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I'm simple... I'm Native American and native Texan. Ancestors are Caddo and Choctaw.
    I was born in Texas, lived here all my life. I'll never leave!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Camoflaged,

GOOD for you. = Fyi, I'm one of the few living direct descendants of Pocahontas, youngest daughter of Deep Stream & Little Fawn on my dad's side of the family, by way of Cleopatra (nee Smith) Rolph.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by satx78247 View Post
    Rich Vale 74,

Fwiw, I had THREE primary MOS over my career: 11C20, 95C30 and 31D35.

yours, tex
    Anybody that was an Eleven-anything knows that you can make fun of REMFs, but without 'em you end up with empty magazines and mess kits. Shoot, out there in the field you don't even mind seein' the Chair Force when they're bring air support. Even Jarheads make fun of Swabbies 'til they gotta yell for a Corpsman, then there ain't no difference between Branches.
    When my wife was hospitalized a few years ago, the guy drawing blood had been a Marine. She asked if he'd been a Medic but he said no, but seein' 'em work, he decided to go to school when he got out. He came in one day when I was there and we got to talkin' trash, both of us raggin' on the Navy, 'til i reminded him that Corpsman were really squids. That's when he told her that one of a combat Marine's duties is to always see that their medics got drunk and laid.

Rich_Vale74,

We CS Mike Papas feel the SAME about medics AND especially about WARTHOG/COBRA jockeys. = The A10 & attack helicopter drivers got us out of more than a few "really ugly jams", OCONUS back in the day.
    (Warthog/Cobra pilots NEVER have to buy their own booze/chow if any of us "combat support", i.e., OD-green tactical, MPs are present.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by satx78247; 05-13-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Welcome from Florida.
    Thank you for serving our country.

I did 2 years, 8 months, and 28 days.

But I wasn't counting.
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division