Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning out tree stumps

Default Burning out tree stumps

I'e got a dozen or more smallish tree stump in my yard that I need gone, most range about 12" in diameter, with a few up to 18" and a couple up to 24". It's proven difficult to arrange getting a stump grinder to my house, and it seems like a bit of overkill given how small the stumps are. So I'm wondering if burning them out would work best. They are pine tree stumps and it's been almost 2 years since the trees were cut down. The area in question is well away from any structures, so root fires are not a huge worry and I'll be taking proper precautions.

I've looked around online for burning out tree stumps, but they all seem to be for large stumps, so I'm wondering what advice you guys would have for smaller stumps like what I've got.
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

I've never burned stumps in the ground, I do know that stumps in a brush pile are difficult enough to burn. 2 yr old pine stumps ought to be pretty brittle by now. Good luck
    Last edited by flock6; 05-03-2018 at 10:37 PM.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I'm curious why you're leaning toward burning them over something like lye/stump remover?

dig out around the stumps - put a fire ring of some kind around them - even a cut out barrel will do - could take a constant fire awhile .... getting rid of the roots very deep is the big problem if you expect to garden or something ....

give any thought to renting a machine?

Cedar stumps are pretty neat to burn out. They never really burn much but will smolder for several days. Almost energetic enough to dig to see how deep they burn.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I've burned out a couple... I soak 'em with diesel, not so they are sopping wet, but like they are a full sponge, let it absorb for an hour or so then light it. They can burn/smolder for days.
    777 FGG

I may be trying the diesel fuel/charcoal route this weekend on 2 yard stumps from a couple years ago...we plan on trying out our new camper in our back yard anyway, so I can pay attention to the burning stumps, and add tinder as needed.

I would go with a grubbing hoe and someone needing to make a few bucks, or some boys from the local high school football team. You only want to get them below mower destruction height I'm guessing.

I watched a video on YouTube of a guy burning out what looked like a 12” stump. He cut an X into the top of the stump with a chain saw and it went all the way down to ground level. He then used an old aluminum arrow shaft to blow the saw dust out from the X. He then built a small fire on top of the stump after soaking the stump in diesel. From there he just watched it and occasionally used the arrow shaft to blow the ash out from the X. In less than 24 hours there was nothing left of it. He did state if you build a big bonfire then it won’t burn because stumps need to burn from the inside out, not outside in.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

How did the stump burning go?