Thread: Kidding Season - after action report

Default Kidding Season - after action report

Just sold my last two wethers and I'm now kid free! I know kids are so cute and adorable, but if you don't get them sold early in the season you can start to panic that you won't sell them at all!

8 Doelings and 5 wethered bucklings, two stillborns and one buckling who was abused by dam and didn't make it 24 hours. I'm donating the three dead kids in my freezer to a Goat Academy Necropsy class in Moscow ID on May 19th. I'm attending the event too, not sure I'm taking that class though...

I'm starting to round up the adult goats that I've been wanting to add to the herd for net season. I just picked up a swiss-marked doe from Missoula. That was a long trip with two kids and a goat in the front seat who peed on me twice. Expected, but still gross :P We bonded on the trip home though, she ended up with her head in my lap

I'm hoping to pick up a cou clair doe this Friday. I had a reservation on her and her sister before they were born and I had to pass on them, so I'm super excited to get a second chance to own her. Both of her granddams are highly appraised(89 and 90) and one was a top ten milker, so I'm super excited to see what she can do! I'll probably breed her for November kids, just in time for Christmas babies to sell!

Now the next phase is starting. I got myself a Henry Milker 2 and my FIL made me a stanchion, so I'm working on getting everyone who is in milk to maintain production and then see if I can get my dry-ish girls to get started up again. I'll be going on milk test this month and I have four girls who I really want to get their milk stars so I can sell them in milk after their next kiddings.

Linear Appraisals are the first week of August, and all does who have freshened need to be in milk in order to be appraised, so I at least have to keep them going until then. So what this really means is I'm driving 60 miles round trip everyday to milk. But damn, that milk is creamy! Coats the jars, I tell you! As soon and I can get them all tested for Q-Fever and Brucellosis I can sell milk in Idaho( I think).

Congrats!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Tractor Supply is pretty proud of the kid milk replacement. Hand called me yesterday to grab him a bag. One nanny looks to be dropping trips like last year. The stuff is about twice the price of calf replacement.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I get mine a little colostrum from mom and go straight to cows milk from the grocery store. Had success so far.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

He just supplements Momma for a while, but they all get some momma milk several times every day.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields