Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: starting to get beehives

You're welcome. You won't need the queen excluder right now. You only need that when your queen has filled both brooder boxes with larvae. It's just to keep her out of the honey supers that you want to extract honey from, for consumption.
    Main thing is getting those bees moved to the large brooder box right away and with the right sized frames. Just one brooder box for now though. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be and it will inhibit them from producing a large enough colony to protect the hive come fall and winter. The bigger and stronger the hive, the more likely they will survive.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

One of the things I did is put a scales (strain guages) on the corners of a couple of my bee hives. Since I tinker with electronics, I connected the hives to my computer in the house via wifi. This way I can see the hives gaining weight throughout the spring and summer, which is good. If I see declines in weight or a sudden change, I am alerted right away. That keeps me out of the hives. Also, I have a slider on the bottom of the hive which has a screen on it. Then I put a tray below the screen to see what is falling out of the hive. Too many workers, or too much mites and I can take action.
    Each one hopes that if he feeds the crocodile enough, the crocodile will eat him last W. Churchill

Oh lord! Don't give my husband any ideas via electronics and wifi! LOL
    That's really cool though!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

You seen the "FlowHive" that's floating around out there? I saw it a few years ago on GoFundMe, I think.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I wouldn't mind a live stream camera in mine
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

um no I aint even touching a flow hive,, I've now got my second top bar,, just cause I mentioned to the guy I bought the first one from that I'd be interested in getting more.. he made two and I picked up another one from him, the roofs are still pitched but this one didn't look as nice ,, non shingled. and un painted,, so I'll do that myself and the bottoms are solid but I can take care of that and get screen and slatted bottoms with removable boards,, I've also ordered some round entrance blockers that are adjustable.. and I've got a telescoping pole for me bee vacumn and a hooded jacket from tractor supply,, I go get the hose next week.. and the guy I bought the blockers from also make frame hangers so that's also next week as well. I'll see about getting the swarm traps put together,, making my own,, I aint payin 180 for box of bees,, folks have been getting pkgs of bees being delivered to wrong address and too late on delivery and getting too many dead bees.. also a note to the wise if you can get your hands on some lantana plant them near your hives I've heard good things about it.. I'll probably make more top bars on my own as well.. would also like to know what kind of summer shoe/boot do you wear,, all I've got are my winter laceup boots from TSC, and they are hot as hell in high summer,,

I went to tractor supply and all wooden ware was gone I mean gone just this last week,, had no idea ace even sold the stuff.. there are lots of mom and pop big stores that will probably have what I need as well will just have to go see when I get the time and line up my resources..