Thread: Add Superglue to your First-aid kit

I learned this trick years ago from a luthier. When you are working with strings, the tips of a piece of bronze wrapped steel can lay your hand open right quick. He always kept a bottle of it on the bench for such instances.

My mom works in the cath lab. every once and a while they crack open a chest and use a combo of sutures and super glue to close it up, same with pace maker pockets. I use it for everything. Carry it in my pocket of my jacket. I have closed some pretty good cuts with it. Swear by it. Pinch the wound closed and keep it clean. Filling it would probably work but it can make you sqeal..... um uh at least thats what i heard.

super glue was initially developed for medical purposes

i have been keeping some around for the last year in case i need it for a wound, but so far haven't used it, knock on wood. i wouldn't be pissed if i never get to try it!

and my buddy back home just recieved a brand new SF medic suture kit as a gift, including the local anasthetic, so i'm supposed to immediately call him for anything needing sutures, and woe be unto me if i don't! he's dying to use that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    (this came from an old Eastman stockholders report, Eastman being the company that originally patented cyanoacrylate adhesives)
    Ah yes! I havenít thought of Eastman 9-10 for many years. If I recall correctly they refused to sell it to the general public when it first came out.

while I agree that every conflict/war has produced medical( and technological) innovations, I'd like to see what the current "war" has produced. I.E. , if they still use Super Glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Elza View Post
    Ah yes! I havenít thought of Eastman 9-10 for many years. If I recall correctly they refused to sell it to the general public when it first came out.
    Thats right, it was deemed too risky due to the fact that it instantaniously bonded skin and was based on cyanide (cyanoacrilate). Even the best modern super adhesives are just watered down versions of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneC View Post
    while I agree that every conflict/war has produced medical( and technological) innovations, I'd like to see what the current "war" has produced. I.E. , if they still use Super Glue.
    Think about this... Every war has aided the economy and increased employment... except for this one, wonder why? The liberals have sold us out and have farmed a massive amount of defense supply contracts to foreign concerns and screwing over America...

I just found Dermabond on the Internet that I am going to add to my Med Kit. Its 18.00 for a single dose. Also found a nice Suture kit for 41.00. To ALL... CLEAN WOUND THE VERY BEST THAT YOU CAN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE . If you have nothing to clean it with let it bleed befor you treat it.