Thread: been thinking about a night vision monocular

Default been thinking about a night vision monocular

For some years now I have been thinking about getting a night vision monocular.

I do not necessarily want a night vision telescope for a weapon..but only separate night vision.

I am considering spending below $400.00 for this tool.

With other obligations for many years this was a thought and not a priority...but am of recent raising the priority level for this gear.

Are any of the members here familiar with this gear as I am not. I am looking at one model which can see day and night and record....

https://www.amazon.com/Bestguarder-M...QD9ATBTWCXY5D0

It seems that over the years this gear has improved as well as come down in price..which also makes it a bit more attractive. There was a time when it was horribly expensive.

I am interested in such features of course as reliability and ruggedness...first and foremost....but within a certain price range. I would keep this gear in a heavy plastic bag with the batteries usually removed until I was to use it. I am aware that water repellant is not water proof.

Other than the one I played with one night on a submarine periscope...I've never used any of this gear. And the one on the submarine I was not impressed with it...everything was green.

My thanks in advance to the members for any help

Orangetom

Only Gen-I stuff sells in that price range. Gen-1 units are grainy and not very clear. You can find killer EBay deals in the Gen-III stuff from 1000-1500$. I have a set of PVS 7's and 2 PVS 14 mono's. 10 years ago these units were 5-10K....
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Do you still have that digital unit Explo? And does it hold up to firing on a weapon?
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

anything that can pick out movement in those dark corners would be advantageous - doesn't need be crisp and clear monitor grade intel quality .... if you got some prepared tricks ready for those probable infiltration routes and just to know "when" ....

For 400 bucks you won't get great stuff. It will work to a degree, with a grainy black & white image....active IR but not passive, which means it will chew through batteries faster.

Do you still have that digital unit Explo? And does it hold up to firing on a weapon?
    mine does not mount on a weapon, strictly hand held monocular.
    but for the price it is pretty darn good, and yes I still have it.

That's great to hear it sees in the dark well. I like to be able to see in the dark and shoot in the dark.

Our security system has night and day vision cameras with 9 split screen on the monitor and it sets off a silent/ quiet alarm that we can see and hear in the house. I do have a night scope of one rifle that I use for hog/varment hunting. Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS Tactical Riflescope - 1.1-8x24mm. Nice scope! Pricey though.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Think I had about the same needs as the OP. Quiet a few years ago I picked up one of the light weight Night owl Monoculars. I have been very pleased with it. I can walk the forest at night. If there is small light it is pretty good. If I need to add illumination, I can. I too have night vision cameras around the house. This uses their illumination very well. Nice for scouting at night without a flashlight giving me away. I have been able to see wildlife sneaking around in the dark. Pretty cool. I know I paid under $200 for mine. I don't see the exact model I have right now (didn't look real hard though). This one looks close: Night Owl Lightweight Night Vision Monocular

The label under mine says russia
    "Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond