Thread: HF Antenna damaged in the high winds.

Default HF Antenna damaged in the high winds.

Got a good look at my Long wire Loop antenna for the HF bands this morning. Both wires have come off the feed point lugs and fallen to the ground with the recent high winds.

I am going to have to get a ladder and re hook them up and re string the antenna in places. This means going up on the roof and working up there. I shall have to walk softly on my new roofing shingles.

Also restringing the pulley up into the tree above my garage.

In it's intact configuration this antenna consists of 500 feet of 12 gauge black insulated stranded wire from Lowes. It is fed from my radio room by a length of ladder line which is hooked into a tuner to get the proper match depending on what band I am working.

I have gotten a lot better at restringing my antenna than in the early days and will be using a stiff boat rod and reel to cast a lead weight of some 3 ounces into the tops of the trees and retrieving a length of 1/8 diameter line onto which is hung a pulley and the wire run through the pulley.

Over time I will get it back up in the air and begin broadcasting once gain....but for now ... my HF radio set up is down. VHF/UHF I still have operational.

If need be I have two spare G5RV antennas....dipoles for which I can string up quickly in in Emergency and are very portable. I used one up at the cabin up in the mountains last year to make contact with my Tennessee friend and it worked well.

But this long wire loop way up in the tops of the trees is a much better set up...though not very portable.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-04-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Just get ya a slinky, OT. Guys in "the Nam" (that's Vietnam) found out it makes a great substitute radio antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Just get ya a slinky, OT. Guys in "the Nam" (that's Vietnam) found out it makes a great substitute radio antenna.

LOL LOL LOL...Olde Timer....I'd forgotten about that...indeed....I heard it first from some old timers who'd been in the Nam.

Thanks for reminding me.

Orangetom

Slinkies are great for a quick and dirty set up.

When a strong wind storm is sweeping through the area, I lower the long lines to the ground, so they don't get damaged, and disconnect the antennas from the tower. This minimizes the damage and putting them back up is very easy.
    It is not who votes that counts; its who counts the votes -J. Stalin

Ok.....today I finally got off my backside and put my HF long wire loop back up.

I decided that if I did not do it today, I probably would not get around to it for a couple of weeks.

After I completed the hook up...I called a fellow I knew on the 11 meter band to check it out locally.
    The copy was fine and I cleared with him to call my friend out in Tennessee.

We tried 40 meters and I could copy him but the copy was weak.

Switching to 75 meters running stock radio power the copy was much better.

Glad to find it is working well and hopefully we will not get to many more bouts of high wind.

Hoping to catch my friend again out in Tennessee later on tonight.

Q5,

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    I am going to have to get a ladder and re hook them up and re string the antenna in places. This means going up on the roof and working up there. I shall have to walk softly on my new roofing shingles.
    I found out, after we got a house with tile roof, that they can be surprisingly durable, but can also be suprisingly fragile if you step in the wrong place.

The day before yesterday I made an adjustment to this long wire HF loop antenna to put one section up about 15 feet higher than was previously.

This took the recasting of my line using a fishing pole and 3 ounce lead weight to a point some 15 feet higher up in the trees and then reeling back a 1/8th inch diameter nylon line from Home depot....the wire is then attached to this line....and then pulled back up to this 15 foot higher point in the trees and then tied off.

Will not get a chance to try it out until later on tonight.

We shall see if it is more efficient with this gain in altitude.

Thanks and 73,
    Orangetom

Talked with my friend tonight on 75 meters for about 45 minutes.

His signal seemed to come in a bit stronger to some 20 over on the S meter. Usually he is running 9 to 10 on the meter and peaking up higher on occasion.

Tonight he seemed to be noticeably higher on the average.

It was similar on his signal report of my transmission. some 20 over going that way to him. I ran about 80 watts into Tennessee...from here in Virginia.

We shall see with the next time we speak..but on the average and so far..the signal report is a bit better.

Looking foreword to trying it again next weekend.

Thanks and 73,
    Orangetom