Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bugout Strategy, Preparations & OPSEC

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    One option many people don't consider is climate controlled storage. Do you really want to be answering questions from your neighbors (especially those in a complex) while you're loading buckets and totes and bags of supplies? Storage will generally have very good security, you can store food and pictures and bulk items, your neighbors will be clueless, and in most communities there's usually one well within walking distance. The major downfall is ongoing costs.
    If there is a situation where one is loading buckets, totes and bags of supplies to "bugout" I don't think the neighbors watching is an issue.
    Climate controlled storage is nearly a necessity and a good plan.

Remember the Credit Card Asteroid Paradox :

A killer comet or asteroid is about to hit the Earth or a very near miss. The Credit Card Companies extend the limit to unlimited credit amount.
    If the comet misses they have those people locked in for decades.
    If the Comet hits, it doesn't matter.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Quote Originally Posted by flock6

One option many people don't consider is climate controlled storage. Do you really want to be answering questions from your neighbors (especially those in a complex) while you're loading buckets and totes and bags of supplies? Storage will generally have very good security, you can store food and pictures and bulk items, your neighbors will be clueless, and in most communities there's usually one well within walking distance. The major downfall is ongoing costs.

If there is a situation where one is loading buckets, totes and bags of supplies to "bugout" I don't think the neighbors watching is an issue.
    Climate controlled storage is nearly a necessity and a good plan.

sorry I consider both incorrect ....

never leave your preps outside your control - and a rental storage place is the worst of the worst - prepping is 24/7/365 - not at some attendant's convenience that might never happen in a SHTF - and if the storage place is A-typical - some employee/owner knows exactly what you have stored and it'll be up for grabs ....

and in regard to not caring what the neighbors would see - if you have never bugged out for a possible SHTF and it's been a false alarm - count yourself alone ... it's ALWAYS OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC - never let your guard down - your neighbors shouldn't even be aware that you have a BOL much less bugged out ... if anyone knows about your prepping and a prepared BOL - don't discount them watching & following during a bugging out ....

The storage in my AO is controlled with an 8'chain link fence and keypad gate. No attendant. I could see where that would be an issue at places with one, but who's gonna keep their stuff where the manager is nosey anyway?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    The storage in my AO is controlled with an 8'chain link fence and keypad gate. No attendant. I could see where that would be an issue at places with one, but who's gonna keep their stuff where the manager is nosey anyway?

sorry guy - you'll get VERY few agreeing - noooo matter what the circumstances ... and in regard to snoopy - betcha there's cameras watching you

i will agree that storage lockers are ok - even if they are cameras.
    presumably you are going to be using cardboard boxes and non see thru plastic totes to hold your preps you might be storing, there should be no real opsec issues, after all what is a storage unit for? storing things. You shouldn't be attracting attention by doing what everyone else is doing at that facility.

now of course if you were bringing in buckets of freeze dried food in the original container clearly visible to anyone watching the cameras or openly shlepping in green ammo cans, yes that's an opsec issue.

I think it is a case of what works for you.

We have a storage locker but don't keep preps there, just some very bulky household stuff. We keep our preps at our retreat and also packed into a Winnebago RV. We view that as a mobile cache if you will.

but someone without room in a small house or apartment or someone with a long distance to travel to a bol that needs an intermediate cache, a storage locker might be a reasonable solution

YMMV