Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welp.... I've started a new hobby...

Default Welp.... I've started a new hobby...

Green wood carving. I've been sculpting since I was about 17. Mostly clay and wire. I did a little wood carving along the way, but but nothing to speak of or actually useful. Lately, I've been having very strong desires to pick up the knives and mutilate some green wood into usable tools, like utensils and bowls, (bread bowls) particularly. I've had a nice set of wood chisels for years but I just purchased a few more for some specific functions, namely a couple hook knives for spoon and bowl carving and a special short handle axe. I'm looking forward to get cranking on a new, useful hobby that actually has a functional purpose.

Do any of you do wood carving?
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

You ol woodchuck you! I've dabbled with carving, I just don't have the focus and attention to fine detail.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

That's one thing I have plenty of.
    I'm a stickler for detail and I love the journey as much, if not more than the finished project. I'm anxious to get started. My hook knives are coming from Ukraine so it will be at least three weeks. First project, just to get the feel of these hook knives, is to carve a cooking spoon. Been watching some vids. Last night at the gig, I found myself looking at some trees with nice heavy straight branches. LOL

Aren't those type things, bowls and such, carved from external knots?

Nooo.. From what I've been reading and watching from the pro's, they avoid knots because the grain it chaotic, in all directions and would cause weakness. They read the flow of the grain and work WITH the grain to insure stability and strength.

Bowls with knots would be for decorative use but not actually functional for food working bowl.

I watched a few videos and they specifically looked for the knots, but that's the limit of my knowledge lol. Can't wait to see some of your work. You're gonna be super busy here in a couple weeks getting that garden going.......those gardens lol.

That's just the opposite of what I've watched and read. My knowledge is extremely limited as well. My understanding is that the search is for nice grain pattern from the growth rings and avoiding as much knot as possible..

I'm deciding on planting just one garden this year. I have plenty put up already. It's time to start amending and resting the soil... And my back. I've been having a lot of issues with my back the past 6 to 8 months.

Your post and interest has made me clean the wax coatings off my carving tools. Some needed a little help with steel wool, although very little rust.
    Other knives , rasps, scrapers and such are getting organized too. Hoping organizing gets my enthusiasm in gear.
    Given the size and power of IVAN, we must remain Vigilant.

My damn hook knives are stuck somewhere in Idaho! LOL.. BEEN WATCHING THE TRACKING PROGRESS! Ugh! Says they finally left Idaho Yesterday but only says "in transit". Give me a break. It breezed through customs in one day. Been in Idaho for 4 days. Stupid PO! Why it went from NY customs to "IDAHO" is beyond my comprehension. LOL

IN THE MEAN TIME... I'm building a 30"x30" butcher block breakfast nook/table.

image.jpg

Nice!