Thread: I'm picked for Grand Jury

Default I'm picked for Grand Jury

Kind of interesting really and refreshing to see. We went through 18 cases yesterday. The GJ collectively questioned several cases as either overreaching police setting up situations when unnecessary. We saw one case of child abuse that looked for all the world like a troubled child trying to put her mother away. Saw some stupidity like the person with 4 priors who was arrested for DUI- in a golf cart crossing the street driving down a fairway. Some humorous things as well as some horrible things, but the way the GJ collectively scrutinized things left me with hope that most of America still have not lost the values and morals.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Thatís good to hear!!!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

How many No Bills ?

two no bills, and one we left asking for more info. That was the one with troubled kid claiming child abuse from Mom. I was torn remembering that we were not proving guilt, only deciding if it warranted a trial. Probably we either had a confession, or an eye witness statement, kind of a no brainer. One no bill was a boyfriend kid telling retired Texas Rangers that his Gf was not home when they came to pick her up. They baited him into a situation that most of us were not comfortable with.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 02-13-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Is lying to retired leos a crime in Texas?

Retired Texas Rangers that are police officers serving an arrest warrant for a felony, yes.

Is it not wherever you are? I thought that was more of a nationwide thing.

The point of mentioning the Texas Ranger thing is that they are basically the cream of the crop in Texas LEO and typically the highest trained. We were of the opinion that the kid was probably no match for these two and got set up by being asked the exactly correct thing to respond to incorrectly. Set up. Pisses me off like the unmarked traffic cops out in most cities who's sole purpose is revenue, not safety because they are not seen assisting motorist or wrecks, only giving tickets.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 02-14-2018 at 08:54 AM.

In Minnesota retired LEO are retired

In Texas, you can retire from one agency and hire on or run for office in another agency. Almost allPD in this small resort town are retired Texas Rangers. A very good friend of mine is retired Department of Public Safety and draws retirement, while being elected county Sheriff and drawing a paycheck. Another DPS friend is retired and working in construction inspection. We don't quit with one retirement.