Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interesting thing I noted on the ham band last night.

Default interesting thing I noted on the ham band last night.

Last night I tuned into the nightly meeting or net ...of the VFN...Virginia Fone Net ...on 3.947 MHZ on lower sideband mode where I tend to wait for my friend out in Tennessee and then after the net we go to a specific frequency and carry on ...thus freeing up that frequency for other uses. This was after 8pm Eastern Standard Time.

While people were checking in to the net....and giving their brief on how their day went or was going...a number of them stated something interesting to me.

That they were not going to be watching the Super Bowl Game last night.

Before the net was done some six people among the ham operators made such an declaration. I was a bit surprised by this as this was not normally a part of ham conversations.

Now I realize this is only a small cross section of a specific grouping of Americans...6 licensed ham radio operators ...but what I heard in their reasons was that basically and for now they were fed up with the NFL and what it had become....in ruining the game for them.

This group of people meeting on this net ...runs from Virginia to Tennessee and into North Carolina, South Carolina and some from Florida and Georgia...places up north into Ohio, Deleware, New Jersy ...depending on how the band runs on a particular night...usually when the band suddenly goes long.

But it was interesting to hear from other Hams in this kind of thing.

I haven't watched a Super Bowl for over 30 year snow..I just gave up on it....for personal reasons way back then.

I was not prepared to hear this from my fellow Ham Operators....and made note of it.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 02-05-2018 at 11:22 AM.

I chose to work this weekend just for the fact it was Super Bowl weekend! We have not had the NFL on in my house in over a year! I did watch ESPN afterwards to see the score and they showed a Bill Bellicheck interview. All I can say is what a non-self respecting FAT slob!!!!! Really dude? Could you dress any more like a BUM for the biggest game of the year? Again what a slob!!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Tom,
    Not so strange theses days. I surf 40 and 80 on the weekends and the old timers down here were having the same conversations.
    Most comments ( cleaned up for posting) were about how the NFL has become so "Ethnicized" my word, and everything is about rap music and acting like a moron.
    Same goes for the NBA...
    Baseball and Hockey seem to be maintaining.
    I boycotted the NFL this year due to all of the controversy with the National Anthem. Did it affect anyone else? probably not.
    I did watch the game last night, and all said and done, was a very good game. The entertainment was bad, the pre game music selections bad, but they (NFL) are catering to a younger demographic these days.
    This is not your fathers NFL any longer....
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Yea, although I have not watched game all year, the TV was on the game because wife needs halftime show, and we both like commercials. I think Manning/Beckham Dirty Dancing routine was best, but watched YouTube videos about backcountry hiking, hunting, food, camping, packing.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Seems the same sentiment has mushroomed all over.
    We didn't watch it either. We hit SIRI up for the final score but that was the extent of our interest. The NFL can shove it, as far as I'm concerned.
    We watched some old Star Trek shows on DVD.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Sorry, a big football fan here, and I watched regardless of implied protests (which I looked for, but found none). Good game, good entertainment, no guilt !

I haven't watched the Negro Felon League in over a year, and no chance of going back.
    i'll watch European Football (soccer) instead..or my favorite, hockey....but I don't have a lot of time to watch overpaid athletes, who really serve no purpose but entertainment. Too much work to do

Quote Originally Posted by rhrobert View Post
    I haven't watched the Negro Felon League in over a year, and no chance of going back.
    i'll watch European Football (soccer) instead..or my favorite, hockey....but I don't have a lot of time to watch overpaid athletes, who really serve no purpose but entertainment. Too much work to do
    MEH! To me, soccor is like golf. More interesting to watch rain drops evaporate in the sun. To each his own, however. As they say one man's trash is another man's treasure. I only watched maybe a half dozen NFL games all year. I did watch the stupid bowl with the wife. It was a decent game. Gotten so sports of just about any kind bore me. Now, if there is a good archery tournament on, or bowling, I can sort of get into that once in a while. Other than that, I've got too many other constructive things to occupy my time.

Wouldn't affect me if another ball professional game was ever played.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Hey now Flock....
    Gotta have my Premier League on the weekends!
    Go United!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    MEH! To me, soccor is like golf. More interesting to watch rain drops evaporate in the sun. To each his own, however. As they say one man's trash is another man's treasure. I only watched maybe a half dozen NFL games all year. I did watch the stupid bowl with the wife. It was a decent game. Gotten so sports of just about any kind bore me. Now, if there is a good archery tournament on, or bowling, I can sort of get into that once in a while. Other than that, I've got too many other constructive things to occupy my time.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.