Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remodeling our kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I think so too. That's why I chose this decor. It's rustic, warm and cozy. Just how I like it. I spend an Insurmountable time in my kitchen so why not enjoy my surroundings.
    Cammie, that's what home is supposed to be, our personal refuge from the world...a place to relax, be comfortable and shut the world out. Looks VERY GOOD! My dad was a cabinet maker, and the things he could do with a piece of wood was simply astounding. He could take a piece of plain old 4x4, what most folks would see as just that. He would look at it and see what others couldn't. He'd start cutting, shaping, sanding, and when he finished, what that piece of old 4x4 had become would have your jaw dropping to the floor in total amazement. I'm so sorry I didn't "have the time" to stick close to him and pay closer attention to the things he could have taught me. But, like so many other "young'uns", I was busy with "important" stuff. Didn't have time to listen and absorb the things he knew and could have passed on. That's probably my biggest regret in life.

I was a grandma's girl. I stuck to her like glue when I was growing up. She knew everything from sewing, spinning wool, out of this world cook, she painted art, and could create just about anything out of junk others would toss aside. Then I'd hang out with grandpa in the gardens. I learned everything from them.
    I've always been fascinated with wood but I don't know where I acquired that fascination from. I have just always appreciated the beauty of it. The patterns in the grain are as unique as snowflakes. No two are the same and the possibilities are endless. Hubs has been a wood worker all his adult life from age 17.
    I love love love going to work with him. I get to rummage through lumber like a kid in a toy store! All of the equipment is at his disposal too, anytime after hours and weekends when the crew isn't working. His boss is very generous with all the quality lumber as long as we don't take advantage of the company. It's a fabulous situation!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Sounds a lot like my Grandma . Man I miss her.

I miss mine too. She was my truth to my whole existence. She also taught me how to fish. Her nickname was Frog. Hehe
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

My wife would say there is too much wood going on in that kitchen. I think it looks perfect! Very nice Cammy!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I hate shiny stuff. Earthy has character.

Very very nice. Wife and I are trying to come up with how we are going to finish the kitchen in our done when we get it up. I am thinking of using a couple of beams from and old farrowing house we took down. That along with some of the old barn siding...might come out pretty nice...but your kitchen looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Camouflaged,

You have brought up an excellent point here...and one for which I need to muse towards my next goal.

I spend an Insurmountable time in my kitchen so why not enjoy my surroundings.
    I bring this up because I have just finished with hiring some people to re roof my house and garage and also put on siding with some insulation under it. It has made a bit of difference in the ability to hold heat in this house ...in particular since I have also put in those new type double pane windows in as well.

But your right...the kitchen, dining room, and living room are the most heavily used spaces in this house...only occasionally my radio room..but not like the others.

I have been known many a night to never make it further than my Lazy Boy...in the living room.

Broke down and bought me a nice Chicago Cutlery block and knives some time back and it makes a big difference having a sharp knife set in the kitchen. When I have time I like to knock about in the kitchen...and the proper tools to do the same.

Thanks for giving me a new angle and emphasis on which to think and consider over the long run.

Nice Job Camouflaged ..congratulations to you and your husband for the nice work.

Orangetom