Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just had a blood test and my cholesterol is bad says the doc

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Well, I've got you by ten years oldgeek. 72 1/2 here. I can't go out and hump a 50-60 pound ruck on a twenty mile hike anymore. I have to contend with asthma, a bum knee and a bad back, but all things considered I do okay. The Lord has seen fit, for some reason, to bless me mightily...for which I am eternally grateful. I really have nothing to complain about. Just hang in there, pard. Life ain't bad where I am now, and I see it staying that way. Long as I'm breathing I've got reason to rejoice and give Him thanks. Even when the day comes that I stop breathing I'll still have reason to rejoice 'cause I'll finally get to see my Lord face to face.

Amen, Amen, Amen!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    These drug salesmen are wearing me out. Went to minor emergency last week just to check nothing was broken, managing pain with Aleve. Doc asks about pain and told him it hurt or I would not be here, but tolerable. Dude still prescribed me Tylenol 3 with codeine but warned that I needed to return any and all unused pills. I did not fill the prescription, it just does not hurt that bad.

The exercise regimen sounds like the ticket, I'm going on a fitness kick to prepare for a hunt and hope to recuse BP that is not high, but higher that usual, as well as losing 2-3" in waist, I don't care if I lose a pound or not.

After all of the surgeries that I have had throughout my life (9 as of right now), I fill all of the pain med prescriptions if I need it or not. This has come in handy as I now have a good amount of everything from hydricodone to tramadol to oxycodone to nucynta. A couple of weeks ago my wife had a really bad case of RLS (restless leg syndrome) and she was able to take a low dose of my hydricodone that I have had since 2011. They still work but they aren’t quit as potent as they once were. But in a SHTF situation I have pain management handled for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    After all of the surgeries that I have had throughout my life (9 as of right now), I fill all of the pain med prescriptions if I need it or not. This has come in handy as I now have a good amount of everything from hydricodone to tramadol to oxycodone to nucynta. A couple of weeks ago my wife had a really bad case of RLS (restless leg syndrome) and she was able to take a low dose of my hydricodone that I have had since 2011. They still work but they aren’t quit as potent as they once were. But in a SHTF situation I have pain management handled for a while.
    That's kinda the way I think, but my wife as a chronic kidney stone patient, has all sorts of different levels of pain meds, and her Dr understands and keeps her stocked up.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Wife got a Motrin and hydrocodone prescription today and refuses to take the hydrocodone. She had a biopsy of a cyst in her jaw (thought it was sinus pain) nope. Then she had to go for a diagnostic mammogram, and ultrasound. Mammogram is clear (cyst) have to wait on jaw biopsy till Friday, doc says it's not a tumor, which was his original concern. Wife has to have 2 surgeries one to remove the cyst and a wisdom tooth, and a future bone graft after that because she's gonna lose bone. I bet she won't take the hard stuff then either. It's good to have sitting around though.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

For those who have pain and don't have access to prescription pain meds, or don't want to take them, Alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 4 hours works just as well in some cases as even hydrocodone. As long as you have no allergies or contraindications with other meds of course.

Pain meds can be good when actually needed. Problem with a lot of doctors (and big pharma) is they just prescribe it when Tylenol would suffice. Just sayin

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeek View Post
    Pain meds can be good when actually needed. Problem with a lot of doctors (and big pharma) is they just prescribe it when Tylenol would suffice. Just sayin

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Yep! And lots of hypocondriacs (SP) out there keep'em in business. True, pain meds...even the hard ones...are good when actually needed, but far too many people run to them at the slightest little twinge. I do take aspirin when needed for a rare headache or to bring down a fever. Other than that I HATE taking pain meds. Fortunately, I've been blessed with a pretty high tolerance to pain, so if I take any kind of pain med its got to be really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Yep! And lots of hypocondriacs (SP) out there keep'em in business. True, pain meds...even the hard ones...are good when actually needed, but far too many people run to them at the slightest little twinge. I do take aspirin when needed for a rare headache or to bring down a fever. Other than that I HATE taking pain meds. Fortunately, I've been blessed with a pretty high tolerance to pain, so if I take any kind of pain med its got to be really bad.

We are in the same boat! Back in December of 2013 I noticed a very hard bump on top of my left foot. Finally in February I got in to a foot doctor to see what was causing this bump, along with a dull ache in the same foot. Well, come to find out I had shattered the 1st metatarsal(the first bone behind your big toe) which had a screw in the center of it from a previous surgery. Well, the screw had lodged into the bone behind the shattered 1st metatarsal forcing it up which was causing the very hard bump in the top of my foot.

“How are you walking on this?” Was the doc’s first response. Her second response was “We need to do surgery as soon as possible to fix this”. I told her no because I didn’t want to have to take off work for that long at a job I had just started. So I waited until June to get it fixed. So for at least 6 months I was walking with a shattered bone in my foot.

The surgery before that one was to remove a titanium plate in my foot that I bent from being too active before the bones healed. So on top of having a high pain tolerance I am also very hard headed. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Disciplined like Cammie? The one who raises a 50 acre garden, sews her own clothes, wrestles bees, shoots a cannon, and makes wine from rattlesnake venom? Yeah Right

What....Camouflaged shoots a cannow!!!!! Wow!!! I did not know Camouflaged was such an Wild Child!!! And a Wine Bibbler too!!!

LOL LOL LOL....

So what does Camouflged do...on occasion ...jump in a phone booth and come out ready to shoot her cannon????!!!

On the serious side now...Beowulf...

I too am getting rounder around the middle, light asthma on occasion...and no ..I too will not be humping a 50/60 lb ruck...for miles and miles.

It is thirty eight steps to get out the gate at work. Some days my BOB seems to heavy and I have lightened it up over the years. I keep more stuff in my lockers at work than used to be the case.

Knees going bad too....I call them weather knees...some day I can tell the weather is changing. But so far my back is holding out....I don't know why ..I have abused it several times over the years.

I could stand to lose about 20/30 lbs but as I age Olde Timer...there are not that many pleasures as is a fine meal prepared by a woman who cares....or failing that ...I like to knock around the kitchen with some fine music ...and prepare my favorites when time constraints allow.

One book off my normal path and for which I found very interesting and informative ...is "Food In History" by Reay Tannahill
    This was a tale of Various foods and spices through the centuries and it was very enjoyable and also informative about foods and spices for which we take for granted in todays economic affluence.

It seems that it was a very big occasion when some new spice came into the city and towns from some far away place via the caravan routes or by sea. The talk of the town in those days. We so take much of this for granted today.

https://www.amazon.com/Food-History-...ood+in+history

But yes..I could stand to lose some weight myself....lots of remaining indoors this winter. 45 degrees out ..and drizzling rain today on the Chesapeake Bay.

Keep them in the X ring folks,

Orangetom

OT, Flock likes to exadurate a bit. Yeah, I have a little 50 cal cannon my ex and I built years ago from a kit. It kicks butt at the rifle range. LOUD too, but the fun is shooting it at night because it shoots fire out about 15 ft. It's a primitive black powder cannon.. I have to strap it down to shoot it or it will take off on me when it fires.

As far as wine goes, no rattle snakes are involved. Trust me on that. LOL ... Just wild blackberry wine to give away as gifts. We don't drink.

Oh, and I do not have a "50 acre garden". I have five gardens that are about an acre each.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 01-29-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”