Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just had a blood test and my cholesterol is bad says the doc

Default Just had a blood test and my cholesterol is bad says the doc

You need to start taking a statin drug to lower your bad cholesterol from 148 to less than 128. My good cholesterol was at a 38 and they want it to be at a 40.

So to me, yes this is not good, but it is not that bad either since for the last month and a half I have been not been on my diet(that I decided to do), I have been eating like crazy, and I have not been riding my bike. During this month and a half, I have also gained 6 pounds.

It sounds a little strange to me that instead of saying ďletís try a diet change and more exercise.Ē, the doc immediately prescribes a statin drug. Sounds like big pharma pushing drugs instead of lifestyle changes.

So instead of taking the prescription, I am going to change my diet slightly and exercise more. At the end of the 3 months Iíll get the blood work done again to see how my cholesterol is. Oh, I am also not telling my doctor that I am not taking the statin until right before my next blood test.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Drink more water! Good luck brother, hope you get it all straightened out.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I'm with you on not taking the pills the good Dr is pushing. Keep us posted.
    777 FGG

If you're only that little bit out of whack, I wouldn't take drugs either. Too many negatives to contend with.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Similar experiences. Ten years back they put me on statins, I had muscle aches, the enzymes got very elevated, they even tried pushing one pill per week, no
    thanks. Aches, pains and enzymes returned to normal.

A couple of months back, my bad cholesterol was 90, good 42 and the statin drumbeat started again. So, my numbers are kind of on the fringes; let me drop some weight and we will try the lipid test again.

One big reason why I donít want to take a statin is that one side effect is it lowers your blood pressure. Well, it is common for my resting blood pressure to be 95/68. My concern is it could drop my blood pressure and cause me to pass out. That is the last thing I need! So a diet it is. I was going to start riding my bike again starting yesterday but one of my knees started popping every time I bend my knee. So my knee doc is gonna get a call from me later today. This getting old stuff is for the birds!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Dr warned me against taking Stain drugs. Said diet and dicipline is my best defense to balance my HDL and LDLs. I completely agree. Cav. You're not that over weight. More like winter padding. You can do this well without taking statins. You jus need to be more dicipline, like me. It's not hard to do.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Disciplined like Cammie? The one who raises a 50 acre garden, sews her own clothes, wrestles bees, shoots a cannon, and makes wine from rattlesnake venom? Yeah Right
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Unless the doc says take this or you die I won't even consider medications.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wow! You sound like a liberal there flock. Lots of exaduration ya think? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Disciplined like Cammie? The one who raises a 50 acre garden, sews her own clothes, wrestles bees, shoots a cannon, and makes wine from rattlesnake venom? Yeah Right
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!