Thread: A remote operated ham radio base station...

Default A remote operated ham radio base station...

It's about 12:30 ...am here...going into 1 am...and I just finished talking to my friend out in Tennessee. We talked and gabbed for about 40 minutes when a fellow came in and said hello. This fellow was in Myrtle Beach South Carolina and was using his ham radio hooked up to a computer and linking back to his home base station....which was up in the mountains of North Carolina.

This is the first time I have ever heard or spoken to anyone using this kind of set up. He was throwing a significant signal here into Virginia and my friend had a good copy on him out in Tennessee.

This fellow in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. was running some 500 watts from his base station back in North Carolina. His signal was 30 to 40 over S9.

So what he had, if I recall the set up correctly, is the front plate of his radio..hooked up to a computer interface/cell phone...and then dialing up his base station at his house...and interfacing his cell phone and radio face plate to his radio back at his house.

I reckon I need to get out more!!

But it was in interesting experience having him run through how the system works. He told me to look it up on U tube as to how it works.

Apparently ...by the sounds of what he was stating..he can change frequencies using this remote base station set up and never have to carry his entire radio set up like I did earlier in the spring when I rented a cabin up in the mountains and took my radio and a G5RV antenna.

He just lets his computer interface with his radio back at home. Interesting how far the technology has come.

If I am understanding this correctly ...he can access his ham radio at home from anywhere in the world....via cell phone...or computer and talk just like we are doing and never have to carry his entire radio with him...antenna too.

What will they think of next????

Wow!!!

Orangetom

The dumbfounded non Ishmaelite.

Plenty of people let others rent out their radios with a setup like that. Usually a fair amount of lag time due to the extra signal time over the internet.

Goodness...me Daelith...I'd not thought it through to that extent ..I am still trying to digest the entirety of what I posted.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

I had an echo-link on my regional repeater, 20 years ago. This is way more advanced then what I had, very kewl (to borrow a youngie phrase).