Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cabin, elevation 6k ft. current temp 17 F.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    https://www.survivalrealty.com/unite...dorado-valley/

I think i will just pass on this one.

I have about 50k to put into a place.
    looks like a nice place.
    Vox Populi!

But getting it to standup or be able to hole up there in winter is another problem.
    Just looked at the weather forecast there and its not bad, not like it was earlier with nights at 17 F.

Looking at the past month for there, is really not bad... Just 2 or 3 days where it was around 17 F.
    Rest of this month lows at night in the upper 20s to 30 F, highs close enough to 60s to call it avg of 60 till end of year forecast.

If I were going to start out on a bare lot, I would move my 30' camper in there, and have all the amenities of home in a moveable package. I think mounting several solar panels on an adjustable post/stand hooked to 4 deep cycle batteries, with a small gen set for auxiliary power (and running microwave/power tools).I would have insulation board blocking the open underside, and up 2' of the side of the trailer. I would also build a 30'x30' metal roofed (shelter house style) over it with removable sides. You could have a rain catchment system off of the 60' of gutters, with an outdoor composting toilet.

For heat, I would run a mini wood stove inside the trailer with a propane (2-3 30# RV tanks) wall unit for warmer weather/emergencies, and for stovetop/oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    https://www.survivalrealty.com/unite...dorado-valley/

I think i will just pass on this one.

I have about 50k to put into a place.
    Probably a good decision.

This implies, to me at least, that water would be an issue..

"water storage for hauling water"

To me that says that there is no water on-site, it needs to be hauled in.

Regardless of anything else, if there is not water, it is not a sustainable BOL.

well, never mind what i had here before.

That water hauling, i did see it and was wondering how storage it had.
    Just with Christmas and other stuff going on, didn't really see a need to go on and call up there about that.
    Did have other questions to ask, but was unsure if even worth asking.

What i am finding in Texas is there is acreage, but either it is all desert, in an HOA, or too small to mess with.
    I like Texas and really don't want to move out of the state.

Big Bend had some acreage in Terlingua Ranch area, but it's an HOA seems like to me and pics I saw was flat arid desert.

have been watching the listings on Land Central, over the summer there was some decent acreages listed.
    Last edited by Nicor; 12-25-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Personal useage, and drinking water wouldn't amount to a whole lot of volume if you weren't wasteful (maybe 10-20 gallons a day or less). This depends on if you are using a composting toilet (no water), using grey sink water for watering plants or other uses, and hand washing dishes and clothes.

Where you run into using more water is in running flush toilets, dishwashers, clothes washers, daily showers, and probably the biggest usage is irrigation of plants, and watering animals.

I think getting a portable 275 gallon plastic IBC transfer tank with the metal surround cage for your pickup truck, and another permanent mounted one for your homestead would easily keep you in good water for a week or more. You could always bury a larger tank, and fill as needed on every trip to town.