Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've got babies!!

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    We bring our heavy bred mommas into the house and into hay barn and enclose them in hog panels. Not that I don't think an adult Boer could take on a coyote one on one. Still, good to keep the kids out of the weather for first few days. Don't need them sunburn down on the border in winter.
    I'd totally do that if I could. I actually live in a condo, with strict animal rules. I've brought a couple in for shots, but they never stay the night. My goats are on my property in the woods, but near the road, so I hope that will help. It has been getting down to freezing at night, but I did just lay down a new bale of straw before they were born and they seem to be doing ok. I'm off grid, so I'm out there twice a day with hot water with a little ACV in it. It's cold, but clear skies and no wind, rain or snow for now.

I've got plans to build a fully wired/closable house about 10'x 24' with all goats, bucks included, in their own pen. They will share air space, so all 14 goats' body heat in one space over the winter.

Renee, I went from two goats to 25 very quickly! I was trying to figure out how I could get barn space very quickly, being the Appalachian engineer that I am came up with a very affordable solution. I had one of the metal carports, the ones you may see advertised at various places for around $600, that we weren't necessarily using. I pulled the carport over to the barn with my tractor and closed the three remaining sides with poplar from our local sawmill. Now I have a nice comfy place for all the goats, it's somewhere around 20x20, it cost less than a grand, it's not permanent if you have codes to worry about. You will be sick of only 10' very quickly!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Another doeling on Saturday. Kinda sad she was a singleton, but I've got another due anyday that HAS to be carrying trips. I've been lucky so far, all doelings! They sell for more money and you don't have to castrate them.

Attachment 1602

Says invalid attachment, Renee. 😢
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

When we had fainting goats as 4H projects for the kids, they would always pick the absolute coldest, snowiest day in February to give birth, and it seemed we were never ready for them, with no real indication she was that far along. Good luck with your cuties.

A good temporary goat housing solution is using wooden pallets on end, tied together with baling twine. 4 pallets would make a 4'x4' enclosure, but I prefer the larger floor floor space from using 6 pallets (8'x4')....plenty of room for a nursing mother and twins.
    Last edited by ckelly78z; 02-06-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Goats do have a knack for kidding during the absolute worst weather. Makes for more resilient goats.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.