Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: started butchering today

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    Sorry dude, know this must be tough to view.

First round of cracklins, some pressed some not.

Look at all that goodness
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Got my mouth watering so badly I had to go get the mop and a bucket! I can just taste a big pot of either turnip greens or collard greens cooked with one of them ham hocks, a huge slice of crackling corn bread and a glass of cold milk...that straight from the cow, strained through cheese cloth, and put in the ice box to get good and cold. Yeah, I said ICE BOX not refrigerator. How many of y'all remember them? (OOPS! Giving my age away for sure with that one about an ice box)
    Last edited by beowulf; 12-03-2017 at 12:47 PM.

A lot in Texas still say icebox, your secret is safe.....ish. I don't believe I've ever had cracklin corn bread. We usually butcher at beginning of the year, it's just getting cold enough.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    A lot in Texas still say icebox, your secret is safe.....ish. I don't believe I've ever had cracklin corn bread. We usually butcher at beginning of the year, it's just getting cold enough.
    Just mix up a batch of corn bread batter, pour the cracklins in and stir, then bake as usual. Good ole southern recipe. Don't know how old you are, Flock, or if you've ever seen a REAL ice box. It serves the same as a refrigerator, but instead of electricity you have to put a huge block of ice in it. There is a space specifically for the ice. It is insulated like hack but you still have to replace the ice every few days. And, yeah, I'm about ancient. I think dirt and I were born on the same day.

I loovvvvvvvvvvvvve that stove!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    First round of cracklins, some pressed some not.

Is that pot marked "US" anywhere on it?

Looks to be the 10 gallon pot from a M59 field range set.

I don''t ever remember ice box, but Gramma didn't get electricity into the house until the early 50's I believe. Always talked fondly of ol Ni**er Tom who delivered ice weekly. Not racist, just what he went by.

Corn Dodgers with Cracklins are the bomb. Another one of the things my grandmother made. She was orphaned at about 10 yo and became the woman of the very poor house of a younger sister and brother and 3 older brothers. Corn Dodgers were a staple in their house.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by 54reo View Post
    Is that pot marked "US" anywhere on it?

Looks to be the 10 gallon pot from a M59 field range set.

I did not see US anywhere on it. My friend got a bunch of those pots at a surplus auction at some school in Virginia . I will try to remember to look next time I'm out there.

Gramma : that stove is a kettle stove. Don't see many around anymore because people don't butcher like they used to , but they are expensive if you can find one. They work great, doesn't take much wood to boil lard.

Beo, my Grandma had an icebox, my uncle still has it in his cabin.