Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: busting out laughing at some hams out here ...Herd mentality...really!!!!

Default busting out laughing at some hams out here ...Herd mentality...really!!!!

I cannot understand the mentality of some hams...and I am a ham ..been licensed for over 20 years now.

I was reading a post where someone was asking why people buy the inexpensive Baofeng walkie talkies and don't get licensed??

Talk about Herd mentality....

I probably should not be surprised ..but here I am ...surprised at the stupidity of some hams and their herd mentality....one size fits all. This is a very noticeable leftist pattern...one size fits all...everyone must be licensed...as the hams dictate.

This reminds me of gun control..they want to license and insure everyone with a gun.......herd them.

Can someone possibly be so stupid that they do not realize that they are trying to "Herd " people against their will...and many Ameicans do not believe in one size fits all.?? Nor do many Americans believe in running with the Herd.

First off the Baofeng series of radios are not ham radios. They just happen to be very inexpensive radios and happen to work on the 2 meter and 70 cm ham bands.

They are a commercial radio with very extensive frequency coverage.

I have the MURS frequencies programmed into mine as well as the FRS/GMRS frequencies. This in addition to the local ham simplex and duplex frequencies for which I am want to use and frequent.

Another thing about most unlicensed people....and these Baofeng radios.....

Most of these people have no idea how a Duplexing transmission works...nor do they have a clue what Simplex transmission means. No sweat off my back...

It is not unlawful to buy one of these radios..or buy as many as you can afford.

I guess I just expected something more intelligent and thoughtful from Hams....more out of the box thinking.

And furthermore..in a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI...all that licensing nonsense is going right out of the window...

Don't get me wrong here...I am not debating here for "non licensing"..of all people. I am debating what I think is incredible stupid on the part of many hams.
    They tend to think they are sitting on the only one in town.
    I don't happen to think so.

However...it is indeed beneficial to people with the knowledge, skills, perseverance, and foresight to get licensed and learn the ways of duplexing verses simplex operations....even IRLP linking...etc etc. Learn this in good times..not after SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. To learn how to be familiar with ones radio and the methods of operating it. In this aspect the hams are correct. I just don't believe that hams are sitting on the only one in town.

Hope this makes some kind of sense out there.

Such nonsense from Hams reminds me of how a leftist operates...one size fits all....Herding. And you folks know what I think about being "Herded."

My .02,

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 11-20-2017 at 10:43 AM.

spot on.
    reminds me of IT departments when personal computers first started showing up on people's desktops
    "You can't buy one of those, I am in change of computers, has to be under my control, blah blah blah"
    The old timer HAMs have already lost the argument, they just don't know it yet.

Explo72,

I am an olde timer..ham...with certain regrets.

I also happen to be a prepper. And with Prepping.....comes individual thinking...and ability to analyze and furthermore..I tend to go along with the prepping aspect more than the Ham Territorial aspect or social conditioning...if you prefer.

I do understand what the Olde Timers are getting at..and have some agreement with them. I just know a bit also ..about chaos. I do not like Chaos people around me...nor traveling to what I call chaos situtations...wherein are found huge crowds....two legged wildlife...good times or bad. I have little use for this.

And I have seen the ham bands degenerate into chaos and two legged wildlife...these ham bands start looking like the CB bands did years ago. Not for me thanks.

Socially ...politically ..."Herding" is a concept which came to me when doing further studies on these LGBT groups..the womens groups, the black groups heavily dependent on exploiting and managing every aspect of racism to herd others....all of these to me have this Herding fingerprint on index on them. I tend to get immediately turned off when I detect "Herding Techniques." It is my way..by careful read of both politics and history. It didn't take me long to get a view into who and why someone is hearding all these groups. I think that same someone is hearding all of them towards the same goal..and for the same reasons.

I don't like it at all when I detect it in my fellow Hams....herding.

I decided to take the steps and expense of getting my license....I was not coerced into doing it.....I was not herded. I weighed it out and the educational/personal benefits to me told me it was a good exchange ...getting licensed.

But inside me ..from my olde CB days there is still that olde "Free Agent" character floating around out there somewhere.

Don't misunderstand me....I don't like two legged wildlife even on the CB bands when I return to speak with people I know on those frequencies. That never leaves me.

Well....I'm sure you get the point in this lengthy explanation.

I dislike queen bees..who think they are sitting on the only one in town..in anything..any endeavor. It is my way.

I did not know this virus...the queen bee sitting on the only one in town...infected also the computer business. Thanks for that awakening.

And thanks for your understanding,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 11-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Funny with the IT dept here at work, they have extensive firewalls to things they don't want you to look at. My desktop is connected via ethernet, so I got a wifi adapter, had it connect up to my work cell and set the routing to send what they don't want me to see out that. Works slick (they think I can't go to this site), so the IT dept feels satisfied, I feel satisfied I can get what I want, and the company is paying a higher data fee on my (their) cell data for their own foolishness. LOLOL

First, HAMs suggest a license because then you can practice without running into trouble. Without practice, your radio will be near worthless after the baloon goes up. Additionally, use of most public resources get licensed to prevent abuse. This is not new and is actually one of the few valid reasons for government.

Second, your IT guys want control because it's their job to make sure the business isn't interrupted by some moron bringing something they shouldn't onto the network. I've seen it many times before, especially from upper management. That costs the business thousands of dollars. Not to mention you're not supposed to be using company resources to access personal things. Winni, that just means your IT guy hasn't locked you down properly. You shouldn't have been able to add hardware at all.

Daelith,

Interesting point here you make.

First, HAMs suggest a license because then you can practice without running into trouble. Without practice, your radio will be near worthless after the baloon goes up. Additionally, use of most public resources get licensed to prevent abuse. This is not new and is actually one of the few valid reasons for government
    I practiced plenty of morse code by copying on my short wave set back then and before I was licensed. I still do this on my Tecsun 660 short wave and a 40 foot external antenna. I also have a small morse code machine which makes the tones and has on it a keyer. It is an olde MFJ rig with a olde manual tuner and the tones can be adjusted for pitch/volume. It can even be hooked up to a radio to transmit morse code.

There are MURS frequencies around the 151 to 154 MHZ band where people transmit without a license. The Baofeng radios work fine on those frequencies. So too do they work on the GMRS/FRS frequencies. So too does my Icom 706 MK II radio work fine on those frequencies and works in Single side band mode as well...morse code mode too.

Without practice on any band..;including CB ..a radio will be near worthless after the balloon goes up. Agree with you here on this.

I taught myself how to make simple antennas before I got my ham radio license. I was so doing back on the CB bands...fabricating antennas from wire and also aluminum rod. They worked fine. I still have one hanging up in a tree for 10 and 11 meters. It is very very broad banded with that solid 3/8 aluminum rod out of which it is made. A very flat response in SWRs.

I'll grant you ..the potential is much greater from hooking up with an elmer and learning..getting licensed...definitely. But hams were teaching me some of this stuff back when I was on only the CB bands.

This issue for me is not getting licensed per se....but is one willing to put in the time to educate one self into what it takes to learn more and more.

Not everyone who buys such an radio like the Baofeng walkie talkies will get licensed. I know this and understand it. This is their problem and issue...if the balloon goes up.

I just don't care for the herding techniques of some hams...as if people have some kind of higher obligation to get licensed because they bought a Baofeng radio.

There is a bit of Rebel in most Americans if you push them a certain amount. Some of us Americans just don't like to be pushed or herded.

Hams have no monopoly on radio education. I am not saying that they do not know a lot....they certainly do...but monopoly or herders..I don't think so.

I worked on radar and Inertial navigation systems in the Air Force. I understand how resonant circuits work and never had a ham license. An antenna properly adjusted/tuned..is a resonant circuit. This is what an SWR is...a Standing Wave Ratio...adjusting the antenna for a certain resonance for a frequency...or spread of frequencies.

Well ..enough of that. I just don't buy into that kind of thing from hams...that someone has such an obligation..a default setting to get licensed if they buy a Baofeng radio. That is, to me, how a liberal works...defaults...herding...or as I stated previously ..one size fits all.

My .02,

Orangetom

I do believe that some people have such a miserable life that they feel they must "put others in their place" so they are on the same plane. The good book tells us we'll receive ten times that we give.............something along those lines anyway.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

My local HAM club fits perfectly, the scenario you describe. I tried to get involved with them but the more I was, the less I wanted to be. I'm a tech with a multi band radio that I'm not licensed to operate on all bands I own. Who cares? I have them if I need them and won't care what frequency I'm on if I need it.

I also have a digital HT programmed to local Sheriffs, DPS, Border Patrol. It will be a helluva emergency for me to transmit on that radio but I have it specifically for those times.

Also have a multi band SSB radio cranking about 70 W attached to a 400 W amp on a whip antenna. It reaches out there, bit I don't get on it enough to attract attention.

There's a HAM in our community that does not participate with the club or ARES, but drives a minivan that looks like a porcupine, that I'm told spends his time out tracking illegal radios.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 11-26-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

You know KingChip...you bring out a good point here.

Within the next hour I will be searching for my friend out in Tennessee about 400 miles west of here and on the 75/80 meter band. When we initially hook up...we move to the extra portion of the band because it is not a heavily populated...not as busy and we can carry on at a more uninterrupted pace. It is not that we are so .....unsocial...but that we are more private individuals. We are not particularly interested in working DX....because we have already done that aplenty when we used to boot leg on the CB bands.

Yeah...back before I was licensed there was a ham who used to come down to the CB bands and read us the riot act and then switch to Morse Code. He did not think that a non ham could read morse code. The CB bands are not used much around here now days. I think most have gone to movies or the computer.. No problem by me.

Gotta go..and catch up with my friend from my radio shack.

Thanks for your post,
    Orangetom

Yea, they have made the whole HAM thing, not very fun. I got into it secondarily because I wanted communications if SHTF. I have accomplished that to some degree. I do really need to complete a home set up, from a mobile multi band with a inverter, or converter, I forget.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields