Thread: Emp proof - a silo?

Default Emp proof - a silo?

Could we use an old silo as an emp protection device? I'm thinking we could store larger items inside. Anyone have any idea?

We have 2. They're old and we need to move them. I am a beginner at this emp stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A retired Harvestore brand silo? They're fiberglass lined steel.

If you appropriately update them with EMP shielding around the edges and they're made of the right stuff, probably.

Wish I had a silo. Thus corn is everywhere.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Glad you found us, 2+4, the whole problem with EMP I think, is that nobody really has concrete information of professional down to DIY Faraday Cages. Theory abounds, but actual practical experience just doesn't really exist. I'm sure the military is EMP proof to a certain extent, but if so they ain't talking. If silo is metal and grounded, it is probably pretty close to EMP proof. I wonder if the barn at the ranch which is oilfield pipe and tubing framed and corrugated decking material shell, and I worked on it many years ago and know that frame legs were sunk 6' into the ground. Seems like that would shield everything inside, but it is not air tight, so are those spaces enough for EMP to get through? IDK.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

great question. Emp is a funny thing. Some "experts" say we have nothing to worry about, while some say 90% of the US population will die within 12 months from and emp/cme. So take everything with a grain of salt and base your preps in a rational line of thinking.

As far if a silo will work or not I am not sure. If your shielding and grounding are up to snuff i bet it would. I think it would be very expensive to make happen and I just think that better alternatives to protecting larger items exist.

This guy right here does alot of rf testing of different materials and has been an awesome source of info for me. I was planning on rebuilding a shed to turn it into a large faraday cage to protect my generator and other things alike, but because of him I am going to go a different route. Its really dry material, but all the data is their.

https://www.youtube.com/user/disasterprepper/videos
    Vox Populi!

Thanks. I don't know how old these are but I don't see signs of fiberglass were one has rusted through. They're not real big like most. We are relocating them and I'm trying to find a way to utilize them. We've built our house ourselves so we're capable in that way.

I'll definitely check out that link. We have a smaller container with basics inside but we have several generator, for example, we'd like to try and protect.

Thanks for the reply everyone

They have a 3 tier system (IIRC) outlining exactly how to mitigate EMP for the military. Congress also has a report outlining what failed. Both reports are avail if a bit hard to find. I think it boiled down to insulation. Filling any holes or cracks/seams with mesh and one he'll of a ground system.

If interested in the... Manual number, pm me and I'll try to dig it out after training tomorrow.