Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED light for my plants

Default LED light for my plants

Just bought few LED grow light for my indoor plants. The light contains a combination of red and blue LEDs. The combination gives a light output like pink.
    but problem is that this light isn't very bright. The seller told me that is each light is of 10 watts. Is this normal that the grow light with a combination of Red and Blue LEDs not to be as bright as compared to a normal LED light.
    Last edited by Krobertz; 11-10-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me.

Is there a reason why you went with LED vs incandescent?
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

My guess would be that LED produce more light for less wattage than incandescent, which produces light and heat. If you don't need the additional heat, just light, then LED would be the way to go. I think alot of grow setups are going LED. In a SHTF scenario, you can produce heat easily with prepped items, but you need electricity for light in a grid-down situation. In that situation, if you can provide LED grow lights with a minimum of electricity from a solar setup/pedal-a-watt system and heat with wood, it might work.

I'd agree with Renee on that. I love LED on vehicles because the amperage draw is next to nothing. In a solar or wind charge system they would draw very little off a battery.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Yeah, eventually I would like to have a tropical fruit greenhouse I could run all year round off grid. Tough to design and get started, but gotta have goals, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I'd agree with Renee on that. I love LED on vehicles because the amperage draw is next to nothing. In a solar or wind charge system they would draw very little off a battery.
    In a setup like this, it would be better to use 12 volt DC lights instead of 120 volt A/C lights so you donít lose unnecessary power from the DC to AC conversion. I have a bunch of 12 volt LED lights and about 400 feet of low voltage wire just for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    In a setup like this, it would be better to use 12 volt DC lights instead of 120 volt A/C lights so you donít lose unnecessary power from the DC to AC conversion. I have a bunch of 12 volt LED lights and about 400 feet of low voltage wire just for this purpose.
    Yea, absolutely, I guess I omitted that part. I will probably stock up on 12V LED light strings post christmas this year, just to have.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

The lights aren't going to seem bright as the white to green spectrum. It's probably fine, you'll know in a couple of days from the reaction of your "plants".
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I could have sworn there was am old report that showed that plants grow better with incandescent?

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Yea, absolutely, I guess I omitted that part. I will probably stock up on 12V LED light strings post christmas this year, just to have.

Buy the cheap 10cm strips on eBay because they are lots cheaper. Plus, post-SHTF you donít want to illuminate your entire house, but rather you just want enough light to see by. Also, pick up one or two rolls of the Uber cheap speaker wire. 18 gauge is plenty big enough since it is such a low amp draw.