Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok here I go

Default ok here I go

there will be an estate auction two doors down from where I now live,, the man retired and went to an assisted living facility.. he was a big time beekeeper and his cousin is in charge of whats left.. he had a piece of farmland outside of town where most of his hives were kept,, those went to the cousin I believe and there is enough remaining equipment and woodware left in the house to start 3 more hives,, this includes drawn comb , frames and pieces to build more frames,, most of the supers are medium and small. There are also helmets with nets, jackets and suits that I managed to see but not able to fluff through the boxes to see what all will actually be sold off.. The auction starts this Saturday at 8 am sharp.. I've told my extended family whom I am now living with and they are ok with me going down to see if I can purchase all the stuff to get started.. I just want to purchase and then store it here downstairs.. not start here inside city limits.. want my own place first. Before my husband decided he wanted a divorce I had 10 hives with tons of accessories to get started,,had to give it all away. This is my chance to start over. Wish me luck.. Will also be thinking of retrieving swarmed bees as well.. I've discussed alternative medicines with them and the honey could be my foot in the door to get their eyes open. We've even danced around what would happen if that lil fat NK idiot nuked us.. Keeps my fingers crossed,, will let ya know if I got any of it

Good luck Grammy !!

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Good Luck Silvergramma,

My friend to whom I speak on my ham radio out in Tennessee....at one time when he lived up in York County he had bees. He had lots of accessories. It was fascinating moving slowly and respectfully in to sit before the hives and just watch them come and go as we just quietly conversed.

He also had a yard full of birds...chickens, ducks and even some geese....and raised quail in some pens. You had to watch the geese, however, because they would bite you and hard, on the backside if you turned your back on them.

But the bees he particularly liked. He even had some kind of stainless steel machine for separating out the honey.

He still has this gear and wants to start his hives again once he gets settled down in his new place in Tennessee. He is doing upgrades to his house, heating system, septic tank and well ...etc...etc...before he takes on Bee Hives again.

One of the problems around here which would often upset the Beekeepers is that the US Air Force would be tasked with spraying for Mosquitos. The Beekeepers were warned in advance but still it played some havoc with the hives.

But he got plenty of honey and would often bring some to work and sell it.

I'll be catching up with him via Ham Radio again in the evenings this weekend as I am off for the two days.

With the temperatures cooling ...the bands have gotten a lot quieter than in the heat of the summer. We turned our output power down to 5 watts and still made the trip some 400 miles but the copy was weak at times. We final wound up running about 50 watts and talked for about an hour before signing off.

Here it was some 49 Degrees F. on the eastern seaboard in Virginia...Chesapeake Bay...and he told me last week it got down into the 30s in the middle of the night in the mountains of Tennessee. I reckon the Bees start going into hibernation when it gets that cool.
    I'll bring up the topic with him over the weekend and find out when and how he plans to set up shop for bee hives. One of his problems is that he is way out in the country in a valley ...at the end of a long road...and he has a good bit of bear tracks. I am wondering how this is going to fit in with Bears..as well as coyotes.

Seems to me as if Bee Hives would be a definite bear magnet. Almost Irresistible!!!

He does not go outside on his property without carrying his Judge pistol loaded with .45 Long Colts...even just to cut the grass. He is a bit like me...not the social butterfly type...and respects four legged wildlife more than the two legged variety.

He is also not an Ishmaelite.

Good luck Silvergramma.

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 10-20-2017 at 07:25 AM.

That sounds very exciting except the fact you will just be putting them into storage, you said you already had to give a bunch away. If they go super cheap I'd say go for it, but they key to auctions is to not get emotional. I've seen items go for two or three times their actual worth because a couple of people became emotional and a bidding war erupts. Hopefully you can find a homestead very quickly and you'll be ready to acquire it.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

well it sucked at the auction concerning the beekeeping equipment,, they pulled off the jackets, the signs , the hats and veils and placed everything else in stacks and auctioned for choice, which I only brought 150 for the whole package and each stack was short with less or more in each pile and we had to act like each stack was worth just as much as the next one to it.. the whole package got picked up by some really young beekepers,, (bunch of young guys) The whole package was over 300 and it really wasn't worth it.. Its too late in the season here to purchase bees so they would have to go into storage. I know when to pull back on bidding, stay smart right? Sometimes its all about possession and preparation.. while studying then when spring comes around,, get er dun.. I will be in contact with the local group here and attend beginning classes. But I learned something..btw I purchased a Ruger Red Hawk 44 mag for cutting firewood.. bears??? meahhhhh!
    Last edited by silvergramma; 10-21-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: forgot

Go granny! Awesome on the red hawk. Too bad on the equipment, when the time is right the opportunity will present itself, I'm sure of it.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Silvergramma,

I am with my friend out in Tennessee on my Ham Radio as I type this out and he told me how he is going to handle the bears. His plans are to put the hives on top of a shed he has on his property. He will adjust the bases to make them level...but the bear solution is to raise them up on a roof. He is aware of what I was speaking as he had at one time subscribed to certain magazines on BeeKeeping which discussed such problems for beekeepers.

I have signed off with him now out in Tennessee and will do the same here on line and go raid the refrigerator.

Sorry to hear about how the auction played out.

Wow...you purchased a Redhawk!!?? That will handle bears for sure.
    And I thought I had a lot of gun in my 41 magnum.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 10-22-2017 at 05:32 AM.

at the time I only owned a 12 gage and a 30-06, both had slings but cant swing them around fast enough wearing them while cutting firewood in a deadfall.. saw the flyer for the red hawk and two other guns,, and with me being short armed figgered this big gun would take out a bear or a cougar or any other two legged varmint coming
    to bother me as long as its a chest shot for the four legged critters.. I don't care if the thing knocks me backerds lmao. Also that was the only hand gun that I actually liked the looks of.. don't know why but a pistol appeals to me more than the glock types..... my Uncle here in town has a shed which would allow me to build a platform on for beehives but there is too much shade where its located. But with me beginning my first class next weekend I will likely find someone who is retiring from the bee biz and I can scoop some good stuff then.. Also the feller that this stuff belonged to was a WWII veteran.. It was nice to meet him and shake his hand, he was there with a walker and seat visiting with old friends from the neighborhood. Some of the other things I won at the auction now have provenance with it as I now know his background and will honor it..

Good for you Silvergramma I too like to meet vets who have been around and have good stories/experiences to tell..both in an out of uniform.

I too have never been enamored of the Glocks for some reason.

I recently bought a .40 caliber S&W...not because I wanted one but someone at work needed some cash and for the price could not afford to pass it up. It is very much like the Glocks. Learning to reload for it.

I too prefer a wheel gun....Always have...though I like my Colt 1911...I usually carry a wheel gun. Were I out there where you are..I would carry exclusively my .41 magnum.
    I roll my own ammo for this too...

When I do carry it I use an underarm holster. It is the same frame as the S&W model 29 .44 Magnums...only calibrated in 41 Magnum. And so too is the Ruger Redhawk..it is a big revolver.
    They are mules...they kick on both ends.

Great on you getting a treddle sewing machine....no electricity required.

Thanks,
    Orangetom