Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something is killing my birds

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    If it helps, most of the chickens killed had both head and torso areas eaten. And in both instances the birds we killed in a corner, the first set was killed in a corner inside the main coop. the other must have been dragged outside and killed in a corner of the run.
    That really doesn't narrow it down much. Coons, possums, weasels, mink, and owls will all eat the head . Probably not owls if you have a bird net over it. Do you have any dogproof traps/ coon cuffs ? If so , set some and put a sardine down in them. If you catch a coon, I don't recommend releasing it. live trap will catch a possum. weasel and mink can be trapped also but will need conibears or live traps with very small mesh wire.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    That really doesn't narrow it down much. Coons, possums, weasels, mink, and owls will all eat the head . Probably not owls if you have a bird net over it. Do you have any dogproof traps/ coon cuffs ? If so , set some and put a sardine down in them. If you catch a coon, I don't recommend releasing it. live trap will catch a possum. weasel and mink can be trapped also but will need conibears or live traps with very small mesh wire.
    I do not have a dog Proof trap, however I did just look them up and ordered me a set, I should get them in by the end of the week and I'll give them a shot. And no, I made the mistake of releasing it once, that ****er came back and killed one of my best hens. It will die
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    The primary coop is a shed that was converted into a coop. On One side is another shed, the front is covered with hardware cloth that aprons out at the bottom and is burried. The 2 other sides are exposed to a larger external area that is fenced in and covered with a bird net. The fencing goes all the way too the ground but does have openings big enough for a small animal like a mink or rat to get in. There is an opening from the main coop to the expanded run that I had been leaving open. But I've since taken to closing up at night. I know the flaws in my design, and I'm working on fixing them. But at the same time, I'm also looking for a way to trap this little bastard. As long as it's alive, it will.continue to be a problem. So I'm trying to both secure the coop and eliminate the predators.
    I think its the coon you let go, or another one.
    He/she is climbing the fence and getting under the netting.

Our chicken area 50 X 75 feet, is surrounded by 6 foot chainlink fence.
    A coon climbed in, killed a hen, and came back again, trying this time to get into the enclosures that are inside the main, fenced, area. I set a live trap baited with chicken gizzards from the store, the coon fell for it and was dispatched with a 22 rifle.

The only problem we've had of an animal getting inside in over 10 years.
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

Agree it's the coon that already knows how to get in. I've tracked coons that traveled over a mile overnight to break into the barn and return home before daylight. Need a dirt nap for sure.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields