Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dentures.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Default Very timely

I'm getting my first set next month. For decades, due to finances, I chewed on stumps, most all of them broke off. As Cammie said, infections, started out about every year, ended up every few months. Thank gaud for my prep anti biotics. Had the lower pulled in one session, then the upper a month later. Never had breath problems, I mouth wash with peroxide, been doing that for 40 years. That taste, indicating infection is starting hasn't repeated.

Thanks for the tips Cammie, I'm afraid I will sound like I am from Mass, talking with a mouth full of marbles. Maybe I can tell people the marbles fell out my head into my mouth, that will excuse me from acting crazy!

I've neglected my teeth for 40+ years. Broke front top center when I was 10-12. Had a horrible dentist throwing caps on it, root canal from the top down through the gum because young tooth or something like that.Knocked a dozen or more caps off through HS sports and basically gave up and just left half tooth showing. Had a few teeth pulled, broke root on two in fights, left wisdom teeth in.

Fast forward to about three years ago, had crown trouble again for about the ten thousandth time. Went in to Periodontist first thinking he was a one stop shop. He sent me to my dentist who was mad because I did not go to him first. In one appointment periodontist pulled 4 wisdom teeth, three crowned teeth, and one more and put in I think 5 implants.

They were very expensive, I went braces and the whole nine yards figuring that after taking 40 years off, maybe it was time to do it right.

I now go in quarterly for cleanings, I've quit smoking which is supposed to be terrible for teeth and gums. No regrets, but I did it the first class method. A neighbor went in and had everything pulled and implants installed in 30 days in Costa Rica for $22 K I think he said. I would consider that route if I could do it over, but I think that there are places here that do it in a day for much less.

Only regret is that the front tooth replacement is enamel I think or maybe porcelain , IDK. It isn't sharp. The first one he put in as a temporary while waiting on the permanent one, was sharp but fit for sheet. Got the permanent one in and should have felt it before they made it, because it will barely cut hot butter. Looks like I eat corn on the cob with a hammer after I'm through with the cob.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

People can't even tell I wear dentures unless I confess. Mine look very natural. I have a wonderful dentist who listens to me without arguing. That is a HUGE plus for anyone going through such an ordeal. My dentist appreciates input from his pt's. Find you a dentist like that and your venture will go easy and efficient.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I'm still laughing at Chips post!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Yeah, that was pretty funny, in a sadistic kind of way. POOR GUY!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I've neglected my teeth for 40+ years. Broke front top center when I was 10-12. Had a horrible dentist throwing caps on it, root canal from the top down through the gum because young tooth or something like that.Knocked a dozen or more caps off through HS sports and basically gave up and just left half tooth showing. Had a few teeth pulled, broke root on two in fights, left wisdom teeth in.

Fast forward to about three years ago, had crown trouble again for about the ten thousandth time. Went in to Periodontist first thinking he was a one stop shop. He sent me to my dentist who was mad because I did not go to him first. In one appointment periodontist pulled 4 wisdom teeth, three crowned teeth, and one more and put in I think 5 implants.

They were very expensive, I went braces and the whole nine yards figuring that after taking 40 years off, maybe it was time to do it right.

I now go in quarterly for cleanings, I've quit smoking which is supposed to be terrible for teeth and gums. No regrets, but I did it the first class method. A neighbor went in and had everything pulled and implants installed in 30 days in Costa Rica for $22 K I think he said. I would consider that route if I could do it over, but I think that there are places here that do it in a day for much less.

Only regret is that the front tooth replacement is enamel I think or maybe porcelain , IDK. It isn't sharp. The first one he put in as a temporary while waiting on the permanent one, was sharp but fit for sheet. Got the permanent one in and should have felt it before they made it, because it will barely cut hot butter. Looks like I eat corn on the cob with a hammer after I'm through with the cob.
    Hey, Chip, did you ever think about using the claw on the hammer to pull the kernels off the cob. Might have been easier. (Chuckle, chuckle)

Nicor, that's why a really good fit is important. When you have a perfect fit, if by chance you do get something caught under them, excuse yourself, go to the lavatory and rinse them then slap those puppies right back in. You don't have to deal with adhesives. In 10 years I think I've only had to do that a half dozen times. With dentures, you have a full palate so the chances of getting something caught under them is pretty slim, unlike partials. My hubs has a partial and he is always getting something caught. His partial isn't removable so he carries a battery operated water pic. That would drive me nuts! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    I wish i could get dentures. Like many others here my teeth have been bad since i was a child (maybe even before ?)

It is going to cost me over $7k to get them, 3k if i did not have any teeth left to pull. $175 each to pull existing.

those screw in type, i an't too sure about. To me they could get partickels between the denture and the gum, then what?

Maybe this Nov, been saying that for years now though.

Teeth hurt all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Hey, Chip, did you ever think about using the claw on the hammer to pull the kernels off the cob. Might have been easier. (Chuckle, chuckle)

One day I may just say to hell with it and get that front one remade sharper, but I think it was a couple grand, but may be way off, I was doing so much at one time I never really bothered to break it down. Can't be that hard to make front tooth that will bite, not mangle. Like I said, my way is not the recommended path to take. I got good work done by friends that are apparently way up there on the designer dentistry scale, and charge like it. OTOH, I have no regrets about the implants. I had zero pain, zero dry sockets even though I still smoked at the time, and no real problems during. Implants worked for me.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields