Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $595 for a 4X4 Nissan pathfinder 1987 rough and ready

A few points:
    It's october in montana, there is snow in the passes even tho it can melt and be super nice for a while more.

Your bike problem sounds a bit strange, having worked in shops for 30 years there probably is something going on, altho I wonder about the magnet. For two grand there are complete bikes floating around. I have a 1300 honda with sidecar I am selling for 2K$. Also older KLR's and DR650's pop up from time to time, it being winter for the next 6 months kind of depresses the price.

Helena is about 1000 miles from Denver. Killer bus ride.

I live about 12 miles out of Helena. We have a harbor freight in town and I do a bit of welding http://www.ryderhorses.com/welding-classes.html

it is the little slug magnet that is in oil drain plugs. suppose catch loose metal in the crank/transmission.
    The magnetic slug came loos and latched itself to the clutch drive shaft. I can hear it grinding in there.
    Have to pull the clutch cover and the clutch basket and see if i can look through an oil drain hole and find what it is stuck to.
    Then hopefully be able to grab with some long needle nose.
    Have to look at the magnet and see if any pieces broke off and may still be in there. perhaps grinding the balls out of some bearing in there.

I just dread doing this. Have been putting it off for almost a week now.
    I envision little metal magnetic filings clinging to everything in that transmission.

If i can get the bike to where i think it will be alright, i'll head up there later this week. If that would be ok with you.
    It really depends on what i find inside the engine casing.

I dont really want another bike.
    Last edited by Nicor; 10-09-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Clutch drive shaft? I tend to think of two transmission shafts with the clutch on the end of one of them. When parts go floating around in most bike transmissions they tend to go between gears and break things and bend shafts. Or bits go between the primary gears and set up a rhythmic clunking or grinding.

If you have a drivers license you can transfer a car into your name with license for 98$ in montana.
    Motorcycles get a permanent plate for as long as you own the bike.

The nissan is sold. It's getting close to rifle hunting season here in montana, 4WD goes with camo and orange vests.