Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just heard from my brother down in Florida...

Default Just heard from my brother down in Florida...

My Brother lives in Bradenton, Florida across the Tampa Bay from McDill AFB. Him and his wife went to higher ground in Palmetto during the storm.

They did not lose cell phone service though his battery went very low as the electricity went out.

He texted me that right now they are headed back to Bradenton to check out the damage.

I texted him last night and suggested to him not to get a phone in which he cannot change out the battery for a fresh spare or remove it at his discretion.... and that I have four spare batteries from Amazon for my phone. If need be.... and like so many I see..I am not tied to a charger when my battery gets low.
    And to my astonishment..some of these new phones ...you cannot even access the battery at all..but are tied to a charger when you get a low battery. Not for me thanks.

But I shall shortly find out how his new home fared in the storm.
    Glad to know the cell phones are still up and working.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Just heard from my brother. Cell phone service is still up and he texted me. They are fine and his home is alright but no electricity. He is going back to get his wife and pets right now.

Glad to hear he is ok and so too his home.

I have forewarned his texts to my sister who will inform my mother.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

That's awsome news OT. Good comments about the phone. I have always insisted on having a removable battery... the phone I am using right now does not have one because it was a gift and I didn't get to choose. However, for those phones there are auxilary batteries that you can plug into just like they were a charger. I have had a couple of those, one was a dud that failed to recharge after a single use, the other one is still usable so far.

I suspect the trend toward non-renewable batteries stems from two things - first, phones these days are considered "obsolete" in about 2 years time and the average battery remains usable longer than that. Second is a little more cynical, the only way a phone is truly guaranteed to be off is with the batteries removed, and various interests may have reasons to want to not allow that to happen. Sorry that was your TFH moment for today.
    Last edited by bruss01; 09-11-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Bruss01,

I did not think about Auxiliary batteries to charge your phone. Mine is an olde flip phone and I keep two spare batteries in my pocket and two others in my daily BOB/GHB along with my amateur radio Baofeng 2 meter/70 CM walkie talkie and spare battery for it. Also my Shortwave set and spare AA batteries. All this in a thick plastic bag as I am often on my scooter.
    An extensive rain poncho too.

I will suggest the same about auxiliary batteries to my brother or get a phone for which he can manually remover the battery and get spares.

However this...

I suspect the trend toward non-renewable batteries stems from two things - first, phones these days are considered "obsolete" in about 2 years time and the average battery remains usable longer than that. Second is a little more cynical, the only way a phone is truly guaranteed to be off is with the batteries removed, and various interests may have reasons to want to not allow that to happen. Sorry that was your TFH moment for today.

I agree and think that by design...someone does not want your phone to ever be completely off. That became obvious to me when I saw my first phone wherein you cannot easily remove the battery without extensive disassembly. Not for me thanks.

Orangetom

I have a solar/rechargeable phone charger for mine. Without sun it will recharge about 4-5 times from near zero to full.Wife, and my kids also have them. Easier for me than carrying around spare batteries and a charger.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I saw a Facebook hack video on a prepper phone charging tip.

It showed removing the spring from a ball point pen, and turning it onto one of the contact slides of a 12V car charger., with the other end of the spring onto the perferated contact (NEG -) end of a 9V battery. Once this connection is made, you can touch the other side to the round end (POS+) side of the battery. The charging light comes on, and will supposedly give somewhat of a charge to your phone in a pinch.....not sure how much.

Great news about your family!

My most recent phone is water/dust proof can shoot video and pictures under water, I'm not sure about the battery I haven't taken it that far apart yet. I have a couple of the external batteries as well, I really need to invest in the solar ones........... most devices are 5v I recently purchased a 6v solar charger for my top post 6v batteries, I wonder...........
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Great news about your family!

My most recent phone is water/dust proof can shoot video and pictures under water, I'm not sure about the battery I haven't taken it that far apart yet. I have a couple of the external batteries as well, I really need to invest in the solar ones........... most devices are 5v I recently purchased a 6v solar charger for my top post 6v batteries, I wonder...........
    Boy, I just know that if I tried something like that I'd let all the magic smoke out. I think my middle name's Lucas when I start workin' with anything electrical.
    Glad to hear, orangetom1999, that things are lookin' okay for your family.

Just received a text from my brother down in Florida. They are alright and I told them I am keeping an eye on Hurricane Maria now with concern. They do not seem all that concerned about it as am I here in Virginia.

Looks like Puerto Rico is going to get hit very hard..in the direct path. I am concerned here about the turn this storm will make as it nears the east coast of this country.

Have most preps still in place from Irma preps...and in particular to take one of my small generators to my Sister who is staying with my elderly mother across town....before any storm arrives. Mom does not have much storage space available at her house so I keep a spare generator ready here at my house ...on the line and ready to move on short notice for just such an event.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

The news I hear is Maria will stay in the Atlantic and head north, paralleling the coast. We can hope it stays away from America; we've had enough.