Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heads Up: Hurricane Irma

I'd better step up my game then! LOL
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I truly appreciate your Info posts Cammie. I really don't watch tv and get basic news from radio while driving.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

No pressure, No pressure. 😱

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    I truly appreciate your Info posts Cammie. I really don't watch tv and get basic news from radio while driving.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Back in 1969 there was a hurricane which came through the Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana coast named Hurricane Camille. This one hit land at some 200 mile per hour high gusts...and it was devastating.

There have been bad ones since but not quite this bad.....not good..but not that bad.

I came through there to my assignment at Keesler AFB...about a couple of months later and the trees were still leaning inland from the high wind speed.

They had bulldozed that Highway 90 following the coast there at Gulfport/Boloxi wherein all the sand had been blown ashore. That was one of the first things they tried to do to get people and vehicles in and out for recovery efforts..bulldoze the highway clear.

Yes....I saw houses completely off their foundatioins....bricks literally blown out of the mortar in the middle of a brick wall.

I have seen, with my own eyes, the two ships in Gulfport/Pascagoula which did not make it out to sea. They were grounded ashore high up on the beach next to each other.
    It took them some time to cut them up and haul off the carcass of these two ships.

For a number of months we would pull weekend duty to help out the community with work teams and clean up.

But still..two such storms back to back...Wow!! Just thinking about it makes me shudder.

Yes ..this is a bad one by the looks of it. Also the track is, as I understand, not finalized.

Keeping an eye on it.

I am also concerned for my friend out in Tennessee.

That Hurricane Camille flooded many inland areas with the rain she carried. Up here in the Shenandoah's in Virginia ...flooding took place in many of the valleys wherein the heavy rain had a tendency to run off and collect. My friend lives in such an valley in Tennessee...wherein he has just moved. Virginia and Tennessee is a long ways from the Gulf coast but it shows clearly how much power one of these big storms carries with it.

He is coming back into town soon to collect more of his stuff and move it out to Tennessee. We continue to keep in touch.

I too get a lot of Heads Up notices, news, and informations here on this site and via Camouflaged. Thanks for that Camouflaged. I appreciate it very much.

Other than that it is radio while traveling about or out in my garage working...or from others at work...or from other Hams/Shortwave.

Not much interested in news from the MSM per se...now that I am more aware of how much they "Gaslight." All of them.

Going to check the National Hurricane Center site now.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I perceive that the next storm now has a name...Jose...and right behind Irma.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-06-2017 at 06:26 AM.

I remember Hurricane Camille very well. I was then at Eglin AFB, (Fort Walton Beach), Fla. That thing initially had Ft Walton Beach dead in its cross hairs, but turned. Camille wasn't as large area wise as other hurricanes, but WHAT A PUNCH SHE PACKED! Tropical storm Jose is right behind Irma. Its projected to reach hurricane strength today sometime. Looks like its following pretty much right in Irma's foot prints too. This has already been a bad year and looks as though it may get a lot worse yet.
    Last edited by beowulf; 09-06-2017 at 08:45 AM.

I heard a few minutes ago Jose appears to be turning into the Atlantic; away from U. S. We'll see. Stay alert.

Of course Jose is turning away, because Trump won't let him in...........
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Even after at least a 5 day warning, I can't wait to see the thousands of Folks stranded with no water/food and needing rescued!!!!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Of course Jose is turning away, because Trump won't let him in...........

LOL, that was a good one