Thread: Prescription strength OTC antibiotics and other.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Prescription strength OTC antibiotics and other.

There's Taurine 1000mg. I get it from GNC
    And there's GABA also from GNC but I've never used it. Heard good things about it.
    I also keep on hand, a supply of Oscillococcinum made by Boiron. Excellent for body aches and headaches, fever, chills and fatigue. You can get it OTC from WalMart.

Also, topical anti-b's like Triple Antibiotic Ointment that has Bacitracin Zinc, Neomycin Sulfate and Polymxin B Sulfate. Good stuff. Made by Dr. Sheffield. I keep several tubes of this on hand. HEB carries it.

Here are OTC prescription strength or near script strength antibiotics etc...you can purchase for stocking up.

Here are some good antibiotics and other meds that are or close to prescription strength that you can purchase OTC.

http://365-rx.com/categories/Antibiotics/all
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 09-04-2017 at 03:50 AM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I guess a lot depends on how you define OTC these days. The link above to 365-rx offers prescription meds without a prescription. So what now conststutes a prescription and an OTC?

That being said I am not aware of any OTC systemic antibiotics that can match the strength and effectiveness of prescription systemic antibiotics. Notice I specified systemic antibiotics - meaning those taken orally or injected that then goes through the whole body. There are some very good topical (for external use) OTC meds that closely match the strength of the prescription stuff.

Like Camo said "Also, topical anti-b's like Triple Antibiotic Ointment that has Bacitracin Zinc, Neomycin Sulfate and Polymxin B Sulfate.". Good advice. I also like melaleuca oil and some of the other essential oils but only for external use.

And of course the best antibiotic? Prevention. Good old soap and water.
    Last edited by Militant_Medic; 09-10-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Taurine is an amino acid (or close enough) that has many functions in the body including a strong anti-inflammatory effect. It is not an essential amino acid (meaning you body can make it itself from Cysteine and Methionine). While very important for many functions in your body it does not have any known antibacterial properties.

Ocillococcinum is a homeopathic remedy made by diluting down a mixture of pancreas enzymes, duck heart, duck liver and has never been shown in well designed studies to cure or decrease the symptoms of the flu. The main manufacturer is currently facing a class action lawsuit for selling a product that does not do what it claims.

http://www.homeowatch.org/news/cfi.html

GABA (or Gamma AminoButyric Acid) is an important inhibitory neurotransmitter. It plays important roles in our body especially in helping us calm down. It is the active ingredient in Chamomile tea (the stuff that helps you fall asleep). Has no known antibiotic properties.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.