Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Making some advanced preps..to get things in position ..

Are you close to the intended path OT? What's the outlook for your AO?

I have a brother who I just found out had to travel from Arizona to Georgia for work, he is there now. Some extended family from Florida has evacuated and is there with him now, all together in a hotel room. Got a niece in FL who says she cannot evac but seems like taking sensible precautions (don't have a lot of detail on this because of various family situations). My brother is a somewhat aware somewhat prepper - he has some preps at his residence - but for this trip he probably has next to nothing with him. Not a great situation.

To top off all the hurricane folks hitting the stores it seems a rumor got started about trouble with NK going hot on Saturday (supposedly a national holiday over there) based on a posting on some "fringe" site by a supposed insider with intel. Also there is reportedly a YUGE CME from an X-class solar flare inbound for the Solar Watchers, could be some electromagnetic hiccups from that... So, good luck anyone with any last minute preps, I'm sure Costco will be full of folks who have waited until the last minute.
    Last edited by bruss01; 09-07-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post

I have a brother who I just found out had to travel from Arizona to Georgia for work, he is there now. Some extended family from Florida has evacuated and is there with him now, all together in a hotel room. Got a niece in FL who says she cannot evac but seems like taking sensible precautions (don't have a lot of detail on this because of various family situations). My brother is a somewhat aware somewhat prepper - he has some preps at his residence - but for this trip he probably has next to nothing with him. Not a great situation.

To top off all the hurricane folks hitting the stores it seems a rumor got started about trouble with NK going hot on Saturday (supposedly a national holiday over there) based on a posting on some "fringe" site by a supposed insider with intel. Also there is reportedly a YUGE CME from an X-class solar flare inbound for the Solar Watchers, could be some electromagnetic hiccups from that... So, good luck anyone with any last minute preps, I'm sure Costco will be full of folks who have waited until the last minute.

As far as the CME goes, I think we're already seeing some effects here. Radio in 2 vehicles completely sucked today. Static city. I've got people in FL that are waiting to see where it goes. Fort Walton is a pretty good distance from initial landfall so they're waiting to see what happens.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Bruss01,

I thought I was going to be...and still keeping an eye on things as the situation is firming up. I am worried about my Brother and his wife down in Bradenton, Florida.

He says they have someone they can shelter with and also know where the shelter is located. I think Bradenton is on the western side of Florida but now it seems to have changed course slightly...and taking up more of it's path directly across the state.

Had some non busy time last night to get on the shortwave set...my Tuscan 660....and noted that the signals were heavily fluctuating. The noise level seemed want to go up and down...noticeably. I did not know about the solar flares. It may have effected reception. I switched the AM reception to SSB and tried to tune in the signal....or "skim" the signal out of the fluctuating noise. We call it "Skimming." In a Beat Frequency Oscillator...set up..it is called zero beating the signal.

Tuning AM on an Single Sideband Mode is tricky but it can be done. Sideband mode seems to have a bit better filtration than AM...but can be tricky to properly tune or skim out the signal.

One of those tricks that radio operators know how to do.

Yes.. I noted last night through a lot of the other fellows with better touch screen phones..(I have an olde flip phone.) that the store shelves in Florida are become quickly bare and also gas is in very limited supply if at all. The roads are clogged.....with people moving out. I reckon most of the people in the Keys have already gone if at all.

As my friend is in town this weekend I hope to check up on his status...as to going back to Tennessee before the weekend is out. He may be headed into a lot of rain all the way home.

I am mostly prepped here ...gas tanks filled...home and vehicles ready. The last thing will be to lower my antenna telescoping mast and also tie down my yard furniture. I keep a lot of that 1/8 inch nylon string in 50 foot lengths from Home Depot just for this and also to suspend my wire antenna on pulleys. So it does dual purpose. Duck Tape too.

Also to fill my containers with water....5 five gallon contaners. Clean/rinse the bathtubs and washing machine...and fill with water....if I am going to ride it out. At some point a decision has to be made about evacuation....otherwise it can be to late....and the traffic blocked/backed up like down in Florida.

This is standard procedure but does not lessen the anxiety ..or worry ..as this is a big one...unlike Isabelle years ago.

Standing by and trying to keep abreast of the situation.

Thanks to all for their posts,
    Saying quiet prayers for my country and countrymen,

Orangetom