Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making some advanced preps..to get things in position ..

Default Making some advanced preps..to get things in position ..

Just in case things get critical real quick..i am making some advances preps to put things in positon..one less thing I have to consider if it comes to it.

Making plans to stay put ..or bug out both...and the gear for the same. Irma looks very bad..but still to far ahead to predict landfall...

Cut my grass today but also pulled out my two small generators..two cycle generators at 1200 watts each. I ran them for about 10 minutes each and then closed off the fuel valves to starve the carburetors. I will be fueling up all my cans ...even two with two cycle mix...also my cars/truck today.

My Two meter/70 cm HT's are on the chargers and also my spare batteries. I ll be putting them in and out of these chargers as they top off throughout the weekend.

I want for all of these to have a full charge. My spare cell phone batteries as well..also the car and marine batteries out in the garage.

Will be getting out my water containers/bottles and jerry cans as well...to have them positioned if needed.

My sister tells me that her and my mother will ride it out...that worries me with how bad Irma looks.

I am planning to leave her with one of my 1200 watt two cycle generators..and some gas for the same. Enough to keep the fridge going...as my mother has refrigerated medicines.
    I would and have done this before in other storms ..left her with a generator.
    Have also bought her a Mossberg 88 12 gauge pump about a year and a half ago...for home protection..along with a bandoleer of shells of various types for two legged wildlife. This piece is well suited for said two legged wildlife.
    I am also considering also giving her this new 40 caliber pistol I just bought from someone needing cash...at work.

If It gets bad enough ..may head out inland to Tennessee...wherein my ham friend lives. I've been in contact with him by phone and will also be in contact with him on 75 or 160 meter ham bands later tonight.

Keeping an eye on the National Hurricane Center site.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Had a quick bowl of soup and crackers..and back to work.

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-02-2017 at 02:43 PM.

I'd say boogie on out, Tn is better anyway.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Good luck to you and yours, OT.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Sounds like you are doin it. It is much better to be a month ahead of time rather than one minute too late.

Pre positioning things is one way to be ahead of the game. It may mean renting a storage unit quite aways away or stashing stuff at a friends in a safe local. We saved quite a bit of stuff by doing that in the forest fire a while back.

Now montana is getting very smoky again and it makes me nervous. We normally have about a 35 mile line of sight distance and now we have been hovering around a mile or less. And it smells like you are sitting on the wrong side of the camp fire.

Sound like good moves OT. Never hurts to have everything in readiness. Got many things here that need the same sort of attention.

Brakes on my BOV are acting up... one of the few parts that haven't seen attention from me, the power boost unit, is bad. Got the replacement today and will do the install tomorrow AM before it gets hot... the plan, anyway.

Need fuel too, need to rotate and refill.
    Last edited by bruss01; 09-03-2017 at 12:07 AM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Gonna be watching Irma pretty close myself. Gotta do an inventory of my supplies and see just where I stand. what I have on hand, what I need to resupply, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Gonna be watching Irma pretty close myself. Gotta do an inventory of my supplies and see just where I stand. what I have on hand, what I need to resupply, etc.
    Beowulf,

I may have this in error but aren't you across the border from me/south of me... in North Carolina??

I've a lot to get done today around here including fueling vehicles and working on an ABS unit for one of my vehicles. ABS units are new to me and a learning curve.

The darned fasteners holding on the circuit board module have locktite on them.. and I have broken two of them off. This is where some of my olde shipyard electric drilling skills come into play ..tapping too along with selected language skills.

Spoke to my friend out in Tennessee last night on 75 meters.....lower sideband...we are still a go if it comes to that...

Will be speaking to him again tonight via Ham Radio. Good copy on him last night..running about 50 watts.

We had planned this form of communications for over a year before he retired and moved to Tennessee.

Back to work now.

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-03-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Beowulf,

I may have this in error but aren't you across the border from me/south of me... in North Carolina??

I've a lot to get done today around here including fueling vehicles and working on an ABS unit for one of my vehicles. ABS units are new to me and a learning curve.

The darned fasteners holding on the circuit board module have locktite on them.. and I have broken two of them off. This is where some of my olde shipyard electric drilling skills come into play ..tapping too along with selected language skills.

Spoke to my friend out in Tennessee last night on 75 meters.....lower sideband...we are still a go if it comes to that...

Will be speaking to him again tonight via Ham Radio. Good copy on him last night..running about 50 watts.

We had planned this form of communications for over a year before he retired and moved to Tennessee.

Back to work now.

Orangetom
    Yeah, I'm in North Carolina, Clayton...bout 20 miles S/E of Raleigh. We're about 100 miles in from the coast...not far enough to get too comfortable with these things. Fran, in 1996, pounded the crap out of us. Then Floyd in 99 and Isabel in 03. Floyd and Isabel were not so bad, only lost power for about 12 hours and no flooding (I'm way up on top of the hill) but Fran left us without power for about 6 days which was not good, but still no flooding that effected us that badly. We could still get around the flooded areas to do whatever we needed to.

Make sure your medical supplies and antibiotics are up to date.
    That's what I've been doing this weekend. I picked up two more scripts of anti-b's and went to SAMS and picked up two more ea. 400ct bottles of Tylenol extra strength and Tylenol/Allergy, 2 more 200ct of eye wash. I have 10 bottles of peroxide on hand but when WalMart has a sale, I pick up more. Today I picked up 10 more 16 oz bottles at .88 each. Picked up another bag of powdered Zinc among other things from Brazos Valley Natural foods Friday.
    Got several other things too lengthy to mention but needed to add to stock, including a few more 24 roll pkgs of TP, Vaseline, CoQ-10, Vitamin C and so on.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Antibiotics are great to have. Are there any natural types to buy as most don't have a prescription for them.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!