Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just a reminder

This one makes some fine thin work on a cabbage head to make sauerkraut. I love it! I went through about 12 heads of cabbage to ferment fro kraut in nothing flat. There is a vid on YouTube. I'll see if I can find it again for you so you can see this pealer in action.

Found it! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9--snocrs
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

ok watched Rachel Ray today and saw the episode with the pumpkin fondue.. yeahhhhhhhhhhh I'll eat that !!! so this is the reminder get those cheap pumpkins,, get busy.. run the gauntlet and stock up.. they don't have to be pie pumpkins to be used for food.. git er dun...

For those of us "youngins" how do you visually tell the difference in seeds?

It depends on the species. You can tell most seed variety in melons and gourds/ squash but greens and succulents are very difficult if not impossible without a microscope or test plant. Fruit tree seeds, depending on the variety are fairly easy but lemons and limes are almost impossible. When I harvest my seeds, they are placed in color coded trays to cure out before being stored in their marked containers for the next season.
    Best way to determine is to test plants. If you have seeds mixed up together, say like carrots and spinach, you may as well do a broad cast planting. Those two make good companions in the garden.

Beans and peas are easy. Go online or get you a book. You should be able to identify them easily until you learn them by sight.

If you are wanting ornamental flower seed info, I don't know. I don't grow many ornamental flowers.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by silvergramma View Post
    wow never seen one like that before and those mandolins are deadly so are the kraut cutters..
    Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    It depends on the species. You can tell most seed variety in melons and gourds/ squash but greens and succulents are very difficult if not impossible without a microscope or test plant. Fruit tree seeds, depending on the variety are fairly easy but lemons and limes are almost impossible. When I harvest my seeds, they are placed in color coded trays to cure out before being stored in their marked containers for the next season.
    Best way to determine is to test plants. If you have seeds mixed up together, say like carrots and spinach, you may as well do a broad cast planting. Those two make good companions in the garden.

Beans and peas are easy. Go online or get you a book. You should be able to identify them easily until you learn them by sight.

If you are wanting ornamental flower seed info, I don't know. I don't grow many ornamental flowers.
    Thanks for the info!

Cammie, I grow pretty flowers for the butterflies, bees, and my wife. I enjoy collecting the seeds and sharing them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.